What are your thoughts on SNAILS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whew! My moms eBay wouldn't work and u had 4 minutes! I was freaking out! Made an account super fast and then pay pal wouldn't work... Finally got it all working within just minutes if not seconds of it closing! But got 50 pinks ramshorn snails for $22 including shipping!! Can't wait!
Sent from my iPhone

THEY ARE A PEST IS MY 29g !!!!!!!

I have Apple Snails but not a good choice when trying to grow plants unless you keep them well fed. They have been reproducing like crazy.

I have never observed the standard Mystery snail.. Pomacea bridgsii, to eat much in the way of live plants. I keep a lot of them, and the only plant I have ever seen one munch on was Salvinia minima. It's very soft and I have seen the odd snail eat a leaf or two.

I also have some Giant ramshorns, another Apple snail family member. They do eat plants, especially frogbit. They'll munch a young frogbit to a nub in a very short space of time and spend most of their time hanging off floating plants. I'm fairly sure they eat any floater, but anacharis is less appealing to them than most. I would not keep them in a planted tank, but Mystery snails, so far as I have observed, don't damage living plants unless they are very hungry. They're very happy to consume algae based tabs or pellets, and will come 'running' for these so keeping them fed is not difficult.

in my 90g I bought some plants witch had 3-7 snails,as time past the population of snails grew so much they got into my filters n all over the class like crazy in till I bought a 6'' jack Dempsey, after 3 months or so snail population near nil! ,but they served well as cleaners well they lasted , these days lucky to see maybe 1 or 2 here n there.

After having the ramshorns in my algae stuffed tanks they are found great! They have really cleaned up my plants and my filter. They are starting to work on the glass now, but they are doing a really nice job! Just they breed a lot.. So if you don't want a bunch of snails wouldn't recommend them. I have had a nerite snails and I HATED it! It layed eggs all over the tank that don't come off or hatch.. And it never ate algae..

Sent from my iPhone

Lol.. I feel like I'm back at square 1 . From what I'm understanding the super cleaners are also super at reproduction. I have no desire to have a zillion little snails stuck on the glass or under the sand making it appear to be moving, leaving me with the option of changing what I have to get something that will eat them. This is only a 20long so I'm very limited. I can't get loaches. I have otos but they can't do all the glass, plant and rocks. The nerite snail is always working too. I don't feel a bristlenose would be a good option in this tank, at this time. Any suggestions? The glass needs it most.
I also have a 29 gal with 5 Cory, 6 oto, 1 bristlenose. I do have live plants and have noticed some are getting green fuzz ( at 1st I thought it was loose moss that attached to it) the otos have gotten some. Should I just be more patient and let them keep working and hope they get the rest? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks to all who have commented. Got side tracked here so I apologize if you answered these questions already.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mystery snails are probably your best best! They are pretty decent cleaners and if you get eggs, you can easily grab the clutch and get rid of it. If it's algae on your glass just get a mag float instead of snails..

Sent from my iPhone

Ive got 3 apple snails who I actually really enjoy. They have gotten quite large, but they keep my glass clean and I like to watch them. I would never allow the small plant snails in my tanks as they take over and cause problems.

I'd agree, Mysteries are likely the best bet. No eggs underwater, thus easy to control populations. The largest snail in the hobby that typically leaves plants alone, unless it's very hungry, and even then, usually prefer soft floaters.

Ok. That's weird. I wonder what I had as a hitchhiker that was breeding like crazy. The clutches were stuck to the glass and the plant leaves.

I'm not sure it was black started out tiny, didn't see any others until babies started to appear like crazy. Nope no way. Drained the whole tank, took ornaments and gravel out and left out for few days. Changes to sand substrate, actually ornaments were out over a week. Got a nerite as told the eggs don't hatch in fresh water.

I like snails, and they are basically impossible to keep them out of my systems without drastic measures since I get so many new plants in each week. The best method of control I have found for them is keeping something that eats them. Granted, this is easier said than done unless you have multiple tanks to kinda switch fish around as needed.

Pond snails for some reason don't do well in my planted tank. I see numerous clutches/gel sacks of eggs but few actual pond snails. I have MTS and their number were high at one time but now not as much. There are FW limpets in the tank as well. Very slow moving; related to snails.
I like all of them.

They remind me alot of cows. Slow, plant eaters, and friendly and many little critters like to hitch a ride on their backs

Omg you guy are all so funny, and starting to make me think I'm wiggin out over nothing. Maybe I should bite the bullet and see what nature does.

I put a couple of pond snails, bladder snails, and ramshorn snails in a tank full of diatoms and it was all gone in a few days!

Fishobsessed7

That's awesome!!! What happened after the snails did all the clean up work? Did you keep them and didn't they produce like crazy?

Back
Top Bottom