What are your thoughts on SNAILS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's so wierd... I think you would notice if he died in the tank.. Water would cloud up after a little. I guess the mystery will go on forever!! And wow that's a ton of snails!! And for plants, get a good light. Also make or buy some root tabs, those help

Sent from my iPhone

Yes, there is a ton of snails, lol. I don't mind tho because the tank is only used as a GBR grow out tank. The baby snails actually supply the fry with their food. So I don't have to worry about feeding too often. For This tank I do nothing for it, no chemicals, or special lights. I just have the stock hood, I did switch the incandescent lights for those twisty household bulbs. It all comes down to your lights and what light level of plants you have, low, medium, or high light plants... Ect...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So you just put baby GBR in there until they are large enough to sell or transfer to larger tank. 1 of my tanks is sand which I was told us not good for plants the roots can't breath and they die, so in the area where there are plants I use marbles and hope they will root and live. I use a regular light bulb there. Sometimes a little leaf zone, but not much I have lots of fry in there. The other tank I have the plant substrate and use leaf zone weekly. I have the standard hood with led lights on it. Sadly the plants don't seem happy, I haven't seen growth in the couple weeks they have been in there. They actually looked better when they arrived than they do now. I feel awful about this. Nice folks only charged for shipping because they know I wanted to start plants too and there not thriving like they should.

If it's the stock LED lights it's probably not enough light to sustain your plants.

[Q UOTE=elephantnose;3086686]If it's the stock LED lights it's probably not enough light to sustain your plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE]

Yes it's the stock. There are 7 , 1" LEDs on there. I'm going to have to get another piece that has a full length fluorescent light aren't i

Most likely. It's quite possible to grow plants with leds but they need to be meant for the purpose of growing plants. Most of the cheaper ones are just for show.

Which is probably what I have as I bought it as a starter kit. Ugh

Snails? This is what happens when I drop an algae wafer in my shrimp tank:
ZUmgJoZ.png

In my planted tank I have MTS, FW limpets and, recently, pond snails. No issue with the plants.

Sadly, but you learn from your mistakes.

Isn't that the truth. Sadly most of what i have learned about fish and aquarium keeping so far has been through mistakes. The positive side to this, you remember mistakes better than most any other way

That's for sure. Lol, I've made a few of them when I was starting and I'm sure to make more.

Snails? This is what happens when I drop an algae wafer in my shrimp tank:
ZUmgJoZ.png

In my planted tank I have MTS, FW limpets and, recently, pond snails. No issue with the plants.

Holy Shrimp & Snails!!!! I dont know how i missed this earlier... amazing I toss a wafer in and the only one who goes after it are the cory cats..maybe i have enough algae for the oto and dwarf pleco? ya think.

Snails have helped me pay for my "hobby", as I sell the extras to people who want to feed them as snacks. But I've got one blue ram I'm keeping that is the size of a quarter.

Since I have sand substrate, I keep MTS for that, and then sell the surplus as they breed.

I also find snails highly entertaining, especially the very expressive mystery snail. :D

Snails have helped me pay for my "hobby", as I sell the extras to people who want to feed them as snacks. But I've got one blue ram I'm keeping that is the size of a quarter.

Since I have sand substrate, I keep MTS for that, and then sell the surplus as they breed.

I also find snails highly entertaining, especially the very expressive mystery snail. :D

Ok you've got me, what do snails do for sand substrate ? One of my aquariums is sand, the other as I said is special for helping with plants. Snails entertaining, I'm trying to get a visual and I'm not seeing anything. Lol. I got rid of my hitchhiker and the mass reproduction and now have 1 nerite snail. The only entertainment that has given me was when it made me go fishing for him in the sand. Thought it buried itself and would die, then my home would have smelled like death. Funny little fellow, outsmarted me.

MTS will tunnel through the sand searching for food. This aerates the sand and keeps it healthy. I see this occurring in my substrate ( EcoComplete) as well.

I have red Ramshorns and some pond snails i haven't been able to get rid of. The ramshorns breed like crazy. I've sold quite a few to my LFS. Pond snails get fed to my goldfish when i find them.

MTS will tunnel through the sand searching for food. This aerates the sand and keeps it healthy. I see this occurring in my substrate ( EcoComplete) as well.

Thank you, I am getting a lot of information here. I was hoping to hear about people's thoughts and experience plus the pros and cons

I have MTS and love them! Also have sand and it's good for the plants because it's hard for the roots to grow, so they help things out. They also eat fish poo, and that is always a plus.

The downside to this is that MTS rapidly multiply, so I keep my population under control with my loaches.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have MTS and love them! Also have sand and it's good for the plants because it's hard for the roots to grow, so they help things out. They also eat fish poo, and that is always a plus.

The downside to this is that MTS rapidly multiply, so I keep my population under control with my loaches.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't you have concern about them dying under the sand? Won't that smell pretty bad and raise your ammonia level? I'm pretty new so these are things I have concern about. Ahh but if they die the loaches will snack on them. Now I'm thinking. I'd love to keep the couple plants I do have in the sand alive.

Back
Top Bottom