What book(s) are you reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am 100 pages into The Vampire Lestat, the second book in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I couldn't put the first one down, I can't put this one down, and I can't wait to read the rest of them!

I was reading Michael Moore's Dude Where's My Country?, but I am meeting with my wedding officiate soon and need to get through two relationship books in the next three weeks :roll:
Plus, I keep picking up issues of Cosmo :oops: (I will have perfect skin for the wedding :wink:)

"The Ape and the Sushi Master, Cultural Reflections of a Primatologist" by Frans de Waal.

And my calculus book. :cry:

"Wolves of The Calla" Stephen King, Gunslinger series.

I say thankya, thankya big big. :wink:

I'm a magazine addict.... I always have the latest Vogue, W, Vanity Fair, In Style, New York Times Magazine (comes with the sunday paper)... wow, these probably make me seem ditzy...

on my more intellectual side, I'm reading 'A Problem of Hell: America and the Age of Genocide' by Samantha Power (really interesting actually, its about historical cases of genocide, how the us has dealt with them, how the concept of genocide came about. You know, beofe WWII the word genocide didn't exist) "The Partly Cloudy Patriot' by Sarah Vowell.

And of course, The Concientious Marine Aquarist, or something like that.

I like to keep a variety of things around to read. I guess you can see that.

Keep starting books and never finish, which is odd for me.

I used to read a lot of mysteries (nevada barr, patricia cornwell, elizabeth george, laurie king - seem to prefer female writers for some reason...), but am tired of them and looking for something new that doesn't tax the brain or attempt to "enlighten" me.

How's the Wolves of the Calla so far, CC? It's been so long that I only have dim memories of the others.

Interview with the Vampire was very good, though I heard it on audio tape in the car. I was 2/3 of the way through by the time I got home. I ended up listening to it on my walkman at home. It was kinda weird to sit there and listen without any visual stimulation.... Hey, maybe if I don't feel like reading I'll try listening to some audio books - at least it would improve my listening skills... I just put Wolves of the Calla audio on hold at the library (i love the net). Hopefully it's a good bedtime story :D.

I'm in the middle of a book of Japanese fairy tales. I like compairing cultural norms and standards. :D

Though a lot of people like it, "Aquarium Fish Magazine" isn't my thing usually. They've had some glaring errors in there more than once. Lately I've been taking to "Freshwater and Marine Aquarium," though it doesn't have pretty pictures or anything. Some of the cover shots are terrible.

But the info seems good so far. (y)

LOL, FAMA has had some of the most stunning photography posted in their pages, as well as there covers, however they do seem to go through months where the art director has been sleeping on the job.

Wow, caught me at a bad in-between book stage, because I'm not really IN anything, just skimming around . . .
But I am currently reading/re-reading:
Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain (finished)
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (just barely started)
Pride and Prejudice (despite a lot of negative opinions toward it, I love it, although it took me three reads to understand; it's my comfort book and am always reading favorite passages, so I'm basically always reading it)
Theives, Decievers, and Killers: tales of Chemistry in Nature
Wild Minds (which is anti-anthropomorphic and therefore difficult for me to always agree with, but whatever)
And other things awaiting me:
The Body Language of Horses (& other horse books)
Aquarium books, of course!
Loamhedge (Brian Jacques)
Pack of Two (by Caroline Knapp)
Cheating Monkeys and Citizen Bees
. . . and MANY others . . .
plus I just ordered Nicholas Nickleby and Mad Cowboy from the library. One of my bookshelves in my room (I have two) has a shelf reserved for just library books! It's crazy.
Oh, plus my textbook (exams approaching!), but that's not really fun.
I'm an obsessive reader, I'm sure you could tell! :roll: Nerds "backwards R" Us/Me. Woo!

Seven said:
Any suggestions for a FW fish magazine?
I like "Tropical Fish Hobbyist". I find that it contains more substance than "Aquarium Fish Magazine" and more 'eye candy' than "Freshwater and Marine Aquarium". Plus, it strikes a pretty fair balance between fresh, salt, and pond.

And...
I'm currently reading "For Love of Insects" by Thomas Eisener.
I just finished "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.

purplestarfish said:
Pride and Prejudice (despite a lot of negative opinions toward it, I love it,

Wow, I didn't know that there were negative opinions! Who has negative opinions re: PandP? It's actually one of my favorite novels. I haven't read all of austen's books, but have enjoyed the ones I've read.

Sounds like you do a lot of reading!! Are you able to recall a lot of what you've read? I think one of the reasons I don't read much anymore is that I now have trouble remembering anything. It sort of sucks the pleasure out of it.

The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri (who won a Pulitzer for her debut, a short story collection titled Interpreter of Maladies).

I'd like to get to Dude, Where's My Country eventually; I've heard nothing but great stuff about it.

I'm also a magazine addict: The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, InStyle, People, Organic Style, Health, Real Simple, Cook's Illustrated.

I'm reading the best author I have ever read, Terry Prachett. I'm reading books, in order, in his Discworld series--currently I am on "Interesting Times." His writing is a mix between Monty Python and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I just finished Da Vinci Code.....great book!

I have read all the anne rice books, unfortunately, the stuff she is putting out now is just not to her usual calibre. The books are getting thinner and thinner as is her writing.....almost like now she is writing for the money instead of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom