What brand of tank is the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julia75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am so exasperated! I was supposed to buy a 55 gallon tank this past week but there aren't any vendors within reasonable distance that I can go to purchase one. So I have been looking online for one to order and I am so confused because there are tons of tanks and tons of reviews on the tanks.

I want a tank that will last and won't leak. I don't want some cheapo made pos. I see tank kits online and then I see just the tanks and then you buy everything else. My 10 gal was a kit and it's great. BUT with a 55 gal I know it requires more of everything. I want to order one asap so if you have suggestions or links please assist.

Oh and the tank is for my 3 Cichlids.

I would definitely check craigslist for the tank itself. It's just a glass box and you can save a great deal on shipping if you find one local. I just got a great deal due to the fact that this lady didn't have the energy to maintain a 55 gal she bought. Everything else can be purchased online. Even if you find one with minor scratches on the walls you will be surprised how beautiful it will look when lighted. I wouldn't buy one that has been through a lot of abuse but its easy to tell if it has. Any concern of leaking can be easily taken care of with a little aquarium grade silicon.

I picked up a brand new 55 with stand for $100 from craigslist. Guy was going into the army so I got a great deal. Even came with everything needed, but I still replaced everything LOL.

Good Luck.

Oh wow I didn't think about Craigs list. I'm going to check that out because I really need a tank. :)

Have you looked on eBay?

Often people spend on high end kit and just aren't cut out for fish keeping so the kit ends up being sold off. Usually best if you can view it first and check it for signs of damage or leaks.

I'm not sure what makes/brands you guys have over there but I've had Fluval/Hagen and Juwel. I'd say I preferred the build quality of Fluval/Hagen.

Good luck!

if you can wait you can pick up a 55G for $55 at petco's $1/gallon sale. its just a simple Aqueon, but i dont think they'd sell so many if they were known for having problems

I saw the Aeon tank kit online at petco.com and it had great reviews too. That's the one I was leaning towards.

I haven't looked on Ebay. My only apprehension about doing Ebay is what happens if I get a tank and it's totally busted? Am I allowed to send it back or do I just file a complaint

Craig's List was dry. I actually found wanted ads for tanks.

I've fallen in love with 'Deep Blue' products. My 75g and now most of my lights are that brand.

If you have the patience, never give up on Craigslist. I found a 10gal one week and since then I see listings every week for anything from empty tanks to whole setups - 20-125gal. New tanks are pretty expensive.

I'm going to try to wait it out at least a few weeks. Ebay was a bust as well. I saw great deals but no one did shipping. All the tanks that were perfect for my babies were "local pick-up only". How annoying when you live in Wyoming...

Don't give up on CL. I look all the time now and see even better stuff than I've got LOL. You'll luck out soon. I know it's hard waiting tho :)

I'm going to try to wait it out at least a few weeks. Ebay was a bust as well. I saw great deals but no one did shipping. All the tanks that were perfect for my babies were "local pick-up only". How annoying when you live in Wyoming...

Next time you search, scroll down to "Distance" on the left menu of the search results. Put in your zip and select a distance. It'll narrow results by how far from you they are... I have never seen a tank which wasn't local pickup on eBay.

Next time you search, scroll down to "Distance" on the left menu of the search results. Put in your zip and select a distance. It'll narrow results by how far from you they are... I have never seen a tank which wasn't local pickup on eBay.

Thanks for the tip. I put in my zip and they gave me results for Hong Kong lol. I'm not giving up though, worst case scenario is I'll have to buy a new one. Anyone on here wanting to sell one?

The hong kong buyer must have a zip in their account near you. I' always avoid buyers who don;t state location properly on principal, anyway. ;)

Yeah I can imagine the risks in shipping a tank. I'm confused as to if I order one brand new, will I have to assemble it or not? I'm a little scared to assemble one myself.

No they'll normally come built. Take a trip to petco and look at their tank prices. You can buy hoods, lights, heaters, filters and have those sent by mail, but the tank I would always buy and transport yourself. The stands are normally something you have to build, unless you get a metal frame one.

Okay that's comforting. I don't know how much longer I can wait though. I want to give CL a chance but I have 3 cichlids in a 10 gallon....(Please don't yell at me). I've been snowed in the house for the past few days. Once it gets better I may just have to take the hour drive to Cheyenne because that's where Petco is.

Back
Top Bottom