What C02 system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of them you can get out there are good.

I like my Milwaukee setup, but I hear Rex Grigg makes great stuff. people are also typically happy with JBJ and Azoo...

JDogg... Have you thought about doing a drop checker with Reference kH solution to more accurately monitor your CO2? That also looks a bit confusing, but it's definitely another one that is worth the effort to figure out.

I got my CO2 bottle locally, and my Milwaukee regulator, solenoid, needle valve, and bubble counter combo off Ebay. Then I just got myself some airstones and powerheads.

so, what's the minimum cost you'd be looking at for a pressurized setup, do you think?

You can get cheap regulators off of ebay for around 35 bucks, but how long they will last, I don't know. Then you would have to add a needle valve and a bubble counter, if you don't already have one. So, around 50 bucks total.

You can also get a Milwaukee regulator off of Ebay for around 75 bucks and this comes with a needle valve, bubble counter, and solenoid.

You would only need a 5 lb bottle of CO2 and that would cost around 80 bucks filled here in Ohio.

You would also need a method of introducing the CO2 into the tank. ie a reactor or PH for mist. DIY would cost around 20 bucks.

So IMO, you are looking at 130.00 with the cheap regulator and without having to spend money on a reactor if you already have one.

Up to 175.00 with a good regulator and a new reactor.

I spent a little over 230.00 total for my whole setup. 10 lb bottle, regulator, Clippard needle valves and solenoid with a DIY reactor.

$77.00 for the filled bottle locally.
$75.00-$80.00 for Milwaukee regulator/solenoid/needle valve/bubblecounter
Couple dollars for CO2 tubing.
For smaller tanks
1 Rio 180 powerhead $9.95
1 Maxijet 600 powerhead - $14.99

For larger tanks, get 2 of each of the powerheads above.

That was my total cost, when I got the 5lb bottle. Then the refill is approx. $12.00 every 6 months.

I bought the Red Sea setup from Big Al's and my husband purchased me a used 7 lb CO2 cylinder from a paintball store. In total probably $230. I was so nervous around that CO2 bottle. Afraid it was going to burst or the top would blow off. Nope. I set it up, turned it on, and thought I did something wrong. :) I was expecting bubbles to come flying through the tank and actually posted a question asking if I did something wrong. lol Now my plants just need to grow.

I'd say $200 is a good ballpark. so much depends on what regulator, what diffusor, and how cheap you can find a CO2 cylinder. sometimes you can lease the CO2 cylinder cheaply.

I paid $90, including S&H, for the Milwaukee Reg, Bubble Counter, Solenoid, and some extra Co2 Tubing. I saw used regs as low as about $20 including S&H on ebay, but as rkilling1 said, you need a Needle Valve and probably a bubble counter, and a good chance you'll need some hardware to hook the reg up to airline.

If I had bought a Co2 Cylinder, I had a line on a 10 lb one for around $55, possibly filled (depending on who was in the store that day). My local fish store was $100, filled for a 5 lb, and $25 a fill. I also found a few places to purchase online, for $70-$75 for a 5 lb, including S&H. Those were empty, of course. In Baltimore, at least, I found Home Brewing Information to lead me to the cheapest Co2.

Reactors can be dead cheap- Some people run Co2 straight into their Canister Filter (IF! it's the right kind) or venturi or build a reactor out of PVC.

I would bet that with a lot of shopping around, you could do Pressurized Co2 for around $100. It would be cheap, used parts and probably be ugly and need constant adjustments. $150 to $200 for a decent system was what I priced out.

i emailed Rex Grigg and this is the quote i got :D
Complete regulator setup with bubble counter, solenoid and all the other parts is $156 shipped
i think this price is do able... :D

JDogg said:
i emailed Rex Grigg and this is the quote i got :D
Complete regulator setup with bubble counter, solenoid and all the other parts is $156 shipped
i think this price is do able... :D

Remember, Rex's system does not include the Co2 Cylinder or the Reactor for that price. The $157 kit includes the Reg, Needle Valves, Solenoid, a DIY Bubble counter, and I beleive some check valves. From what I've heard, it's a great regulator, but it's not a complete Pressurized Co2 system.

You will also pay between 50 and 100 bucks for a cylinder, and I spent 2 weeks looking for a cheap cylinder. Local Aquarium clubs and local Home Brewers are great for this, also www.beveragefactory.com has good prices. I beleive BevageFactory has 57 bucks or so, plus 10 bucks shipping. You will need it filled when you get it, that'll be another 10-20 bucks. Local bars, especially microbrew places, may have them cheap, but in my area those places don't often have web pages, and if they do, they don't advertise the Co2.

In addition, you need some kind of reactor. You may be able to use equipment you already have- I have heard Magnum Canister Filters can work just by putting the hose in the intake. Powerheads with Venturi's have also been used. DIY Inline reactors (Assuming you have a canister filter or plumbed tank) can be made for 10 to 20 bucks. In tank reactors can also be made, or bought.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but the previous topic was "What does a complete pressurized Co2 System run".

Back
Top Bottom