What Can Corals Can I Keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im building a 29gallon tall tank but am unsure how much lighting a 4x24watt T5HO light fixture will give me. what types of corals can I keep with this type of Lighting? The tank is about 21 inches deep I think. The Fixture would give me about 3.3 watts Per gallon

You can keep things like leathers, mushrooms and lps like frogspawn, ducan, blastos. and candy cane. You might be able to keep some sps as well.

whats SPS? and what kind of lighting would I have from that light? Moderate lighting? or Low Lighting?

That would be moderate lighting. Most LPS and soft corals will do. Some moderate light SPS`s will do like Pavona and red cap corals provided you keep your calcium levels up.

CleverBs, LPS stands for Large Polyp Stony and SPS stands for Small Polyp Stony. A candy cane for instance would be a LPS because it has a hard skeleton but has a large soft "Head". A montipora on the other hand would be a SPS. Things like Toadstool Mushrooms are soft corals because they do not have a hard skeleton. Hope that helps.

it does, do you need any special equipment to keep corals? or can I keep them in the same set up as a FOWLR?

you should be able to keep some SPS close to the top in the area of the actual fixture.
i honestly think T5s are more intense lighting then other style lighting and since a lot of people have been able to keep maxima clams under a 4 lamp t5ho i wouldn't doubt that they can grow SPS especially with a quality lamp like ATI, KZ or gueismann

does the fixture have individual reflectors for each lamp or is just one or two

Last edited:
you should be able to keep some SPS close to the top in the area of the actual fixture.
i honestly think T5s are more intense lighting then other style lighting and since a lot of people have been able to keep maxima clams under a 4 lamp t5ho i wouldn't doubt that they can grow SPS especially with a quality lamp like ATI, KZ or gueismann

does the fixture have individual reflectors for each lamp or is just one or two

Each lamp

The equipment that is most important is lights and waterflow. Water quality is very important as well. Make sure you research before buying some corals can take over a small tank like green star polyps and xenia to name a couple. I have both along with a few others I put in a tank and call it my junk tank which is actually pretty nice looking considering the corals are just dropped in and left to grow and war against each other.

The equipment that is most important is lights and waterflow. Water quality is very important as well. Make sure you research before buying some corals can take over a small tank like green star polyps and xenia to name a couple. I have both along with a few others I put in a tank and call it my junk tank which is actually pretty nice looking considering the corals are just dropped in and left to grow and war against each other.

Sounds kind of like Ma Nature huh???? :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom