What can I do to get the NitrIAtes where they should be when the ammonia is fine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r_nichols7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone... I'm new to the forum and the aquarium world. Amazing site and a wealth of knowledge and info. Started 10 gallon aq 2/13 am, added 4 af cichlids and 1 pleco on 2/15 pm (B4 knowledge of "cycling") 2/18 my pleco got velvet and was treated with coppersafe and cleared by 2/21. I have been doing 10-15% pwc weekly along with testing and have had no other problems until now. While away, 3/14 1 cichlid died with what my wife explained had white cotton slime covering @50% of the body. I tested the water with API and Ammonia=0 PH=7.6 HpH=7.4 NitrIte=5.0 and NitrAte=80. What is going on in the tank? Today is day 32. My son and I have been guilty of overfeeding and believe we have that under control but maybe not... I did treat tank with Fritz Zyme on 3/7 due to cloudy water from rotting food pellets. What can I do to get the NitrIAtes where they should be when the ammonia is fine?

Thanks melosu58, this is an awesome site. Unfortunately, I have done research after starting the aquarium. It was (is) for my 9yr old son but my interest went beyond my expectations. I find myself zoned into the tank rather than watching TV. Any sugestions on the Nitrite and Nitrate levels?

I`m not much on FW as I`m mostly SW. I will move this thread to the FW general discussion so more people will see this and give you more answers. Good luck on the tank.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your fish. :-(

I would definitely do a PWC and get those nitrites down. It seems your in midst cycle. I also would stop using chemicals to clear up those issues. Its bad enough what with the cycling already. LOL

When you do a pwc do you use a gravel vac to get up the uneaten food and waste? That should cut back on the cloudiness from over feeding.

+1 to Carey

Your tank is not fully cycled, please I woul recomend you to read and learn the Nitrogen cycle, once you understand it, you will see that you are in the process of cycling your tank with fish.
15% weekly water changes have not been enough based on your nitrites level. You need to keep reading daily, any time that you see Nitrites more than 0.25 ppm do a 50% partial water change. Nitrites are really toxic for the fish. With time, maybe some weeks, you will see that the nitrites will start to read 0 ppm or close to 0 ppm, and the need of water changes will be less frequent.
Once your tank complete the cycle, then you can go back to your weekly PWC,

Hope this helps

Last edited:
carey and ejaramillo01, Yes, I syphon 1/3 gravel each time. I also use 12 stage RO water (0 ppm pollution). Thank you for the advice. Will heed and post results.

This could be a long shot.. But, if you have room in your tank you could throw in some live plants... They help break down the Nitrogen by using it.. I mean, that is if you're interested in live plants. Haha.

Also.. I dunno if anyone has told you, and I hate to "preach", but a pleco can get up to like 24" long, so it's not very well suited for a 10 gal, and neither are the African Cichlids :|

They'll be fine at their younger stages, but they'll grow to be quite large.

Corbo, thanks for the input. I did major research after starting the aquarium and did put some thought into live plants. The problem with that is I am uncomfortable with the help at the fish store, your point exactly... they will outgrow the tank. Store employees didn't mention that and they like to push chemicals, so advice on plant life from them is not a good idea... with that, do you have any suggestions? I would like to get a plant they would benefit from eating as well. To add to the thread... 2 of 3 cichlids got Popeye and I’m treating with meds now.

Start a thread under the Planted tank section of the forum and let us know what type of lighting you have. There are plenty of easily maintainable plants out there!

The bare minimum plants would start off at java moss or hornwort. Either of these plants could practically grow in the dark (not really) haha. But popeye is usually an easy cure. My betta had it once. Just dosed some anti biotic. Sorry to hear about your money hungry and greedy LFS who will sell you whatever just to profit and not give you proper advice. :/ other plants that do well in minimum light would be possibly some types of crypts or aponogetons seem to be very hardy as well!

Back
Top Bottom