What can i put with a crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garywalton10

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a jack Dempsey and a catfish in my 55 gallon And both are fairly young( around 2 months)... Would it be a bad idea to put a crab in the mix? Would they mess with each other?

Crabs like fiddlers and red claws are brackish semi terrestrial crabs and shouldn't be placed in a freshwater aquariums. Even if they could be, with your stock they'd be eaten.

Don't fish eat crawdads to it's the same thing basically they just grab it from behind and swallow it whole or if they are small just pick at it till it died

My fish are fairly small... If I got a bigger crab think they would still mess with it?.... I'm trying to find one more thing to go in my tank. Something different and cool. Any ideas if the crab doesn't work?

You could try bigger shrimp but I think they'd get eaten, a craw dad could be eaten and if it was bigger it could harm the fish. Maybe a smaller pleco?

Yeah, 100% no to the crab. Your Dempsey won't tolerate the salt and minerals necessary to maintain "freshwater" crabs, which are actually brackish. And they way that many fish eat crabs is to flip them over as the belly area of the shell is much thinner and easier to break to get the meat out

Back
Top Bottom