What can I use instead of anemone for clown fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcos77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 18G tank with 72 watts of PC's and live rock for now. My tank is only 4 months old. I have no corals as of yet. I am planning on getting a clownfish maybe a percula or maroon. I would love to get an anemone but I know that they are very hard to keep without the proper lighting and plus my tank isn't mature enough to begin with. Is there some other type of coral that the clownfish would be able to host in? Something that is easy to keep. What about Bubble Anemone- Heteractis dorensis, are these hard to keep?

Thanks to all who reply.

Bubble tip anemone = Entacmaea quadricolor ;)

Some BTA's are found captive bred and that would be your best bet, but as you mention, your tank is not mature enough for an anemone.

Other corals will host clowns, but that is mostly up to the clowns. Common surrogates are, hairy mushrooms, toadstool leathers and some LPS corals. I have true perc that has adopted some button polyps and some GSP for a host.

Be sure the anemone is a tank raised specimen. They are available at some online retailers. A tank raised has a MUCH better chance at survival for several reasons. One is it has not been ripped from the ocean so it's foot is not damaged. The ocean environment is not impacted by buying tank raised. It is well suited to a closed environment, so much so it has split.
Wild caught anemones have a dismal survival rate, can live for centuries unmolested, and are often in poor health when purchased. I posted the URL of a site selling tank raised bubble tips for less then $40 a couple weeks ago.

LoL GSP works fine for my false percs. I have found they will host in anything located at the elevation they like to be at that is even remotely hostable. One of my clowns even hosted in some candy cane corals for a few days. Silly clowns.

I thought I would also add that it is possible for a clown to irritate a coral to death. The LFS had a torch coral that was hosting a clown. After a few days, the coral started to slime heavily and finally died. I guess the coral couldn't put up with the constant agitation of the fish.

I think these cases are few and far between though. My clowns love my torch coral. Always seem to be playing in it. Also, at the LFS, their Perculas seem to love to play in hairy mushrooms.

Back
Top Bottom