what coral is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
iv brought some live rock nd it has this growing on it and i am not sure what it is so can someone please help me.. also what should i feed it on and how often

Attachments

• coral.jpg
    coral.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 153
Not sure. Looks like a ricordea on steroids with extra long fingers. Almost like a frogspawn. Not sure. I'm betting you won't have to feed it as I belive it'll get what it needs from fine food particles floating by and light. What kinda light you have anyway.

Nice looking piece. Got lucky if you were just buying rock.

It looks like a Green bubble tip anemone to me. You can see it's foot pretty clearly and the tentacles have a slight bubble shape to them. It could also be a long tentacled anemone. They both need strong lighting to live, if you don't have that I would recommend returning it to your lfs. If it dies, it can cause serious problems for your tank.

yeah first it was on top of the rock then it opened up and moved almost under the rock and is now fully open and looks lovely.. there is one on top of the rock that i think may be dead as its not open its just a bright green blob.. so what is it then as iv been told a few different things

it's not dead if it still has some color. can you take it off of the rock and put it in a shaded area for a while?

You got really lucky. Most people pay quite a bit of money for an anemone that nice and you got it as a hitch hiker for free.

brilliant.. will it get any bigger and will it reproduce ie spread arond the tank.. dose it need feeding if s what on.. also with live rock will things start to grow on it there are already some things that look like coral on it and its covered in a purple like fur

Craig, you need to do some googling on your new anenome and learn some things about it. Start with "bubble tip anenome". Once you do some of that reading and learning, then ask questions about other's experiences maybe. For now though, there are some very basic things abut them you need to know first it seems.

Good luck.

It will probably be too late just the chance u take start learning bout it or take it out

i dont understand all this about lights my tank has a built in hood. it has 2 bulbs in it each is 2 strips one is blue and one is white. i think they are 18k or 18 w iam new to all this.. i didnt get the coral knowing nothing about them as i only brought the rock and the coral was hiding on it.. can anyone help me with te light situation.. iv read up about the coral i have but still cant find if i need to feed him or not and if so what on. or will it spread in my tank. also iam still not sure what he is

you have way too little light for corals or anemones. you don't need to feed the anemone, but it will accept meaty foods. i am in agreement with everyone else that it appears to be a bubble tip anemone.
you'll either need to buy stronger lighting, or get rid of the anemone.

hank you very mch mr x. iam not an irrisponsible person i only brought the rock an the thing was attache.. what kind of light will i need.. i have an oca nano reef tl450 tank. i it uv light te lue bulb or the sun light one.. iv taken a picture to a shop and iv been told its a malu anemone

i didn't say you were irresponsible. i already know from your previous post that you bought the rock with the anemone attached.
HetMaluFAQs
that link has some photos of malu anemones and i don't think they are close to the one you have, but who knows.
meanwhile, does anyone make fixtures/hoods for those, or retro kits even?
i know nano tuners makes them for certain tanks, but i am not sure about the brand you have-
Nanotuners.com - Nanotuners.com

hes using 2x18 watt 10ks in a 13 gallon bio cube style tank. i would think at that height in that small of a tank . the light would support it but his next problem will be the tank size for one and secondly keeping the parameters in check for something like that.

your best option is too catch it and take it to the store or give it to someone that can care for it. all thats going to happen in your tank is it will sting the crap out of everything then die and foul your water colum

Back
Top Bottom