What Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthony.grimes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What corals could you have in a 180 with 2 @ 250watt mh (20,000k)? obviously they would be low light corals but I am looking for something hardy and easy to keep. Could you do a clam if placed high in the tank? thanks

You could almost do whatever you want with those lights you just need to place the corals carefully. For a tank that long you really need one more fixture but with the two you can place those corals that require high lighting directly under the lights.

Thats what I was thinking, and maybe put some low light corals in the middle where the light is not as intense. Any word on a clam? thanks

Clams do like strong lighting, they may need to be placed higher in your tank. What are the deminsions of your tank?

It is a standard 180 (72x24x24) I was thinking that they should be ok if placed high in the tank directly under a light.

I agree. A clam and pretty much any other sps would be fine if kept under the lights. Other corals would be doable as well.

You might want to look into a strip compact flourescent light or perhaps T5 to provide a little more light to the entire length of your tank? Just a suggestion.

That is why I was asking the about the deminsions. Typically a MH bulb will cover 24" of area so it wouldn't hurt to add another one down the road, or do as Lindsay suggested and add a T5 or CP stip.

I was going to get another mh but I have an acrylic tank and there is large brace that goes across the middle (about 18" wide) so a light in the middle would have to diffuse through the acrylic, plus I am worried about it harming the acrylic and heating the entire tank even more. With the light fixtures that I have placed about 6-7 inches above the tank the light seems to spread evenly fairly well. If a were to add T5s what bulbs would you recommend?

Couple of things. Your MHs should be at least 10" off the water. Being too close is a recipe for disaster! How do you have the bulbs oriented over the tank? What kind of reflectors are you using? Can you post a pic?

I would get a combination of either 10K and Actinic or go with 50/50 bulbs.

As Lindsay said if you put them up high and under the halides you should be Ok.

You may want to look into VHO set ups as well as T-5. VHO lamps are longer and may provide more coverage for less $, I'm not sure. As far as color goes, w/ 20k MH lamps you should already be on the blue side. You could go w/ actinic fluorescents for some more "pop" from your corals and some fish, but the tank may be too blue. You can also do a dawn/dusk simulation w/ actinics. Something in the 10k range would add some more white to your current lighting, and 50/50's more whitish blue. It depends on whether you like a yellow, crisp white, or bluish look to your tank. Personally I would probably look at something in the 10-12 k range w/ 20 k MH. HTH

I am not sure of how your rockwork is situated or if you are willing to change, but you could construct a patch reef on one end where light penetration (both halides) would be at a maximum and have it descend/extend towards the other end with minimal light penetration so that it resembles deeper water (T5).

I am planning on reaquascaping my tank anyways so I can plan accordingly. Thanks for you help guys, lots of good info.

For a 72in tank I suggest going with three MH lamps as well. If the brace in the middle of the tank is clear acrylic you should be okay. I would not worry too much about the heat issue. As, mentioned, your lamps should be placed high enough above the tank as to not heat things up too much. Running a small desk fan over the surface of the water will certainly help. As far as color goes, I am a fan of 10K or 14K MH bulbs with actinic suppliments (CF, VHO, etc.).

I agree! You need 3 lights, but if you just do 2, you could place sps or clams right under the direct rays of the MH's and put the softies on the outsides.

Back
Top Bottom