What could be making my ph high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive just started up a new tank and the ph is reading 8.3 yet my tap water is 7.0 so there is something in the tank that is making my ph go up. I have no fish yet as i still need to cycle it. Things in my tank are: 2 live plants, 2 pieces of decor, fake plant, black gravel, heater, filter. Water is also cloudy but is slowly going away.

Hi, are both readings after 24hrs (of water standing) to allow for any gassing off, etc?

Last edited:
Its only been about 5 hours since I filled up the tank. Shall I waot 24 hours?

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, give it 24hrs for the tank and also a sample of tap water. This will let ph stabilise.

Did you buy anything of limestone? I assume pebbles were from lfs?

Im not sure whats ment by sample of tap water?

Im not sure whats ment by sample of tap water?

Just a small container of tap water that you can test the ph of (after 24hrs when it has de-gassed or anything). So it's separate to the tank water. That way we know your true tap ph and then can see how the tank compares.

Oh yes I get where you're coming from. I shall do that.

I can't imagine such a large increase from just sitting. Are you using plain aquarium gravel? Was it used previously? Did you use bleach to clean anything?

HIgh GH/KH cause High PH.

Stability is more the key than ranges.

Yes, but water doesn't gain hardness by sitting in an inert container for 24 hours.

I suppose it could be a whole lot of co2 offgassing but washing a tank with bleach before use would do it too. Bleach is a strong base. That's the only occasion I'd make correction with phDown and then leave the bleach in the laundry room where it belongs.

Don't know why your PH is increasing, is normally the inverse... PH lower as chlorine get eliminated...

For sure high PH is caused by hard water... Can't tell you more. You can cut your tap water with RODI...

Putting PH down in hard water will only cause swings... It's an acid... I already tried it to lower my PH from 7.5 to 6.5. The only thing it did is stressing the fishs... And the day after, PH increased to 7.2... PH minus is really not a good product... Stick more with cutting your tap with rodi, it lower ph, don't only put RODI, it will lower it too fast, specially if you have some CO2 in water...

What's your usually tank PH and what fishs are you keeping ? As I said, stability is better than ranges... Sure, if you way out of range, some species can suffer... I won't put neons tetra in ph 9 for sure... but will be fine in 8, 8.3... Their range is 6 to 7...

Also, PH tests are not accurate, and the color result can be affected by chemical in the water (chemicals that doesn't affect PH)...

I would just not care about this, or only cut tap with RODI, don't add PH minus, I'm not the only one that will tell you this...

I am thinking of doing a 50% water change before i start cycling it to see if that will help bring the ph down to where i want it.
The cloudiness has cleared over night but ph is still reading 8.3 and tap water is 7.0 so there is something in my tank causing it to be high. I feel it is the gravel. I did not use and chemicals to wash my tank such as bleach. Ill do this water change and lets see what happens.

I am thinking of doing a 50% water change before i start cycling it to see if that will help bring the ph down to where i want it.
The cloudiness has cleared over night but ph is still reading 8.3 and tap water is 7.0 so there is something in my tank causing it to be high. I feel it is the gravel. I did not use and chemicals to wash my tank such as bleach. Ill do this water change and lets see what happens.

You need to also test your tap water after letting out stand for 24 hours in a clean, glass or plastic container that is able to vent to the air. Also, are you on a well or public water supply?

There's nothing wrong with water changes while you're cycling.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't hurt and will help clear the water. The good news is cycling will lower ph so good to have a buffer there of ph above 7. I can't think of anything else apart from gravel or maybe the fine silts from the gravel either but it does seem odd. Let us know what next ph is if possible.

UPDATE:

50% water change
Ph reading of 7.4

Ph has come down from 8.3 to 7.4 after changing 50% water.

Tested water again 4 hours later and ph reading again of 8.2
Just as I thought I fixed t by doing a water change, the ph went back up in a few hours. Not sure what to do. Should I drain my tank and re rinse all my gravel and decorations before I start the cycle? Or shall I just go through with the cycle and hope ot brings my ph down?

Tested water again 4 hours later and ph reading again of 8.2
Just as I thought I fixed t by doing a water change, the ph went back up in a few hours. Not sure what to do. Should I drain my tank and re rinse all my gravel and decorations before I start the cycle? Or shall I just go through with the cycle and hope ot brings my ph down?

What sort of decor is it just to check?

I'd take half a handful of gravel, put in a small cup and put white vinegar on and see if you get any fine bubbling or fizzing. I tend to cover the gravel so I can see the bubbles but up to you and your kitchen supplies :)

Cycling / established tank will tend to lower ph, hard to say how much. My tap is 8 and tank with driftwood is 7.3.

I would tend not to worry about it (usually the need is to get ph/kh up) but would love to know what is causing it.

Back
Top Bottom