What could be the problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nzpv03

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my male afra is a little more shy and keeps spitting his food out...I do see some flashing from time to time and shivers. There is some white feces that has been like extended since what seems to be overnight....he is still going for the food but spitting it out and is still claiming his territory and chasing intruders out...what could be the problem!?!? TIA!!

Sounds like internal parasites. If he isn't eating, medicated foods won't help much so try a metronidazole based anti-parasite med, or levamisole if you can find it (not at your lfs).

how's jungle parasite-clear? I have some sitting athome!

I used the Parasite Clear as a first try-it did anger the parasites my fishies have, but didn't kill them. I have some sort of super parasite-lots of people recommend the Jungle stuff.

LLOL hmmm... you make these parasites sound beastly! Ya ill give it a shot...hey if my carbons been in there for over two weeks should i still take it out? or is it still active?

My parasites are apparently SuperBeasts! For "normal" parasites the Jungle PC gets glowing reviews. I suppose I'd take the carbon out anyway, but you're right-it's probably inactive now.

I'm dosing with Praziquantel and levamisole now. concidently the ingredients in a pig and poultry wormer that has been recommended to me by many people.

a little info
"Metronidazole or "Flagyl" inhibits most FLAGELLATE infestations, eg. Hexamita & Spironucleus, not worms, & is used the same way in small animals. Worms are not the same; Nematodes such as Capillaria, Camallanus, the discus maggot worm & Cestodes or tapeworms are the most often seen. Pipzine is used for the nemotodes as is fenbendazole "Panacur", & Praziquantal or "Droncit" is used for tapeworms. Gill flukes are Trematodes & can be treated with Flubendazol (Flubenol 5%) formalin, (my favorite) & Praziquantal. There are many others & many different combinations of meds for treatment. Some meds are better in food, Panacur should only be used in food, others can be used in the water. I find the meds in the water to be so much easier for me, but the "in food" method may be much more effective depending on what you're using.......there's lots written on these problems & their treatments in the health & meds section......
Three weeks sure is the norm for "cleaning" out the fish! Seems like a long time, but dosing correctly & being patient, following the exact instructions for each med will work best... & many hobbyists do prophylacticly worm the fish on a routine schedule..."

http://www.aquaforums.com/forums/index.php?s=3a...0&#entry34532

and

Metro or Flagyl is an antibiotic. It is of no use against internal worms. What you need is a product containing Levamisole for nematodal infestations (thread worms and round worms) or Praziquantel to control tapeworm and gill and body flukes. It is used at the rate of 100mg per 20 litres of tank water, with a 25% water change after 2 days and a cleaning of the filters. The dose needs to be repeated in 7 days to prevent reinfestation."
http://www.petfrd.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-18246.html

Is it's belly starting to concave in shape? Apparently there is also some sort of "wasting disease" with similar symptoms..which the cure is not available for downunder :(
If I can find the thread again i'll note down the trace ingredients of it..

Thanks for those links defekt....his belly is not caving in but the problem is since he isn't eating he looks a little skinnier, but nothing extreme...I THINK he ate some food today...but can not be sure as he like spits it out and stufff....if i still see white stringy feces I will treat him today with jungle PC....Thanks again...keep the good words coming!!

Back
Top Bottom