What could this be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lurker79

Aquarium Advice Regular
This platy was in a tank that had a nitrite spike. I was uneducated at the time about cycling but I have done lots of research and I am trying to do better now. So I have a couple of problems, first of all I don't know if the way her fins look could have been caused by being in the tank with high ammonia and nitrites or if it is something else. My second problem is she is currently having fry and I don't know whether to move her out of the tank when she is finished or if I should move them (I know it is risky to move fry) because whatever this is could have contaminated the tank they are in. I have a 55g I can move them to in a separate breeder box ( I have my other fry in there already), or I can put mom in a quarantine tank and leave fry where they are.

Sorry, forgot to add the pic.

88527-albums13705-picture65040.jpg

If you can move the fry fine, if not you may lose them. As bad as it sounds, don't worry you'll get more fry.

I moved the fry so we will see how they do being moved that soon. I am still not sure what is going on with the Platy though. Has anyone ever seen fins do that with high ammonia or nitrite levels, or is it more likely to be something like fin rot. I have some melafix granted I don't know if it would even help.

They just look tattered to me. Yes ammonia and nitrite poisoning cause stress that leads to the potential for many illnesses. You could give the melafix a try and see if they start to heal, but pristine water may be even better. Lots of water changes every day.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom