What did I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Cleaning a canister filter for the first time (a fluval 106), which was otherwise an amazing experience ...

When I turned it back on, it blew this HUGE cloud of red gunk (the color the fish poo always is) into the tank.

I did unplug it before flipping the lever to stop the flow, instead of the other way around, but should that really matter?

Turned off the lights early cuz the fish were wearing themselves out chasing bits of detritus, eating them, spitting them out, then chasing them again.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Cleaning a canister filter for the first time (a fluval 106), which was otherwise an amazing experience ...

When I turned it back on, it blew this HUGE cloud of red gunk (the color the fish poo always is) into the tank.

I did unplug it before flipping the lever to stop the flow, instead of the other way around, but should that really matter?

Turned off the lights early cuz the fish were wearing themselves out chasing bits of detritus, eating them, spitting them out, then chasing them again.

If you cleaned the canister thoroughly (which I'm sure you did) it's probably the stuff that's trapped in the ribbed hosing. I cleaned my hosing one time and it was amazing how much red gunk as you describe came out.

I let the gunk settle as it will provide my plants with more nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just did that recently - fogged up the whole tank so bad I could barely see!!! oops...but I guess it is clean now! That is the power of a clean canister!!!

I did this one time, like caliban said, it's amazing how much gunk gets trapped in those hoses. I remember mine were filthy when I cleaned them a few months ago

Caleb

Same here, now I put my net over the inlet before switching the pump on......

I'm definitely going to steal that one!

It is surprising how much more stuff was in the media, compared to a fluval HOB rated for twice as many Gph. I am officially a canister convert.

This is why I clean the filter before doing a water change.

I do both clean and start the filter with a filter bag attached with and elastic band over the outlet pipe. Then do the water change. Although I have been using the Fluval FX6 for almost a year now and find this to be much less of an issue.

This could be due to the larger diameter hose used with the FX6 and also every 12 hours the pump automatically shuts down for one min to purge the air in the pump. So starting and stopping likely breaks any build up in the lines free constantly.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a Fluval 406 and I've never had that problem.
Follow the instructions in the book.
If you still have problems you can call the company and ask for help.

I have a Fluval 406 and I've never had that problem.
Follow the instructions in the book.
If you still have problems you can call the company and ask for help.

Did both. Apparently (as seen above) it's very common.

I'm also guilty of letting the gunk flow back in the tank but it only happens if I handle the hoses a bit too much.

I made that mistake the first time I cleaned my filter, now I clean the filter switch it on then vacuum the gravel and do a water change.

I said this before on another thread but it's worth repeating.
Before turning your filter back on, use an elastic band to secure a plastic food bag over the outlet. The first water out of the filter fills the bag, at that point simply slip the bag off of the outlet and remove it from the tank and chuck the fouled water away. If the bag initially fills with air then make a SMALL hole in the bag, near the outlet, to let the air escape. When you lift up the bag the hole will be near the opening and no water should escape.

I said this before on another thread but it's worth repeating.
Before turning your filter back on, use an elastic band to secure a plastic food bag over the outlet. The first water out of the filter fills the bag, at that point simply slip the bag off of the outlet and remove it from the tank and chuck the fouled water away. If the bag initially fills with air then make a SMALL hole in the bag, near the outlet, to let the air escape. When you lift up the bag the hole will be near the opening and no water should escape.

That's brilliant. Letting it settle, even if I am also doing a vac and water change, is unnecessarily troublesome.

Back
Top Bottom