What do I do when i get the rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's me again, I ordered about 100lbs of rock 50lbs dry and 50lbs live, the question is what has to be done before I put it in the tank? FYI I plan on starting up my 120 when I get the rock as of now it's empty. Thanx all.

If you're planning on curing that rock in the tank then you need to get it up and running. Water, SG checked, powerhead(s), heater, etc. The 'live' rock you paid a premium for needs to be kept wet (with salt water) preferably submerged at all times or else you'll end up with all base rock.

If you are going to cure it outside of the tank (in tubs) then you need the same thing ready when the 'live' rock arrives.

Depending on the packing, how long it takes for your 'live' rock to arrive and how ready you are for it to arrive will determine how much of your 'live' rock remains live.

If you have not cycled your tank yet I would cycle the tank and cure the LR all at the same time in your tank. Let the die off from your LR be the ammonia source for the cycle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom