what do i need to cycle a tank? and other cycling questions. fishless.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
would i just need filter and tank?

also once i have a fully cycled tank, and i do my first water change after the full complete cycle does the new water (from the tap) need to be treated before going into the tank? how does it work?

i have a 65g terrarium i bought thinking it was an aquarium.. i have a filter that was recently used by the previous owner which he pulled from his tank 2 days ago.

i figure while i am waiting to build a tank stand and get proper aquarium i could have this thing like 1/2 full and do a cycle. the tank only starts to bow when above 3/4 full.

plus i would then not leave the filter just sitting there doing nothing. my light should also be coming in a day or 2.

another question, i bought the used canister filter and like i said its been sitting for a few days. the guy literally pulled it from his tank when i got there. He rinsed the media with a garden hose and didn't bother to clean the hoses and such. they look pretty gross. If i fully clean the filter will i ruin all the bacteria that I want for cycling?

I really don't want to put those hoses in the tank filthy like how they are.

Yes filter needs to be running to start a cycle. I believe you also need a heater to get the bacteria going. You will also need an ammonia source. No food for bacteria otherwise. No food means no bacteria.

You only ever put water in or on your tank or filter media after it has been treated!!

The water board add chlorine and chloramines to kill bacteria. What do you think happens when you add untreated water to your filter media containing your beneficial bacteria?? You guessed it, it kills then. Untreated water will also kill fish so beware!!!

When you treat your water to remove chlorine and chloramines it allows the bacteria to begin to develop. In order to survive and thrive they need a food source. Thats when you come in. You need to add pure ammonia if doing a fishless cycle. Or add a few hardy fish if doing a fish in cycle. These two options are worth doing a lot of research on!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom