What do I need to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My understanding, and this is totally without citation because I'm exhausted, is that hydrogen peroxide steals hydrogen molecules, which destroys fragile cell walls. That's why it fizzes. Single cell critters and plants have cell membranes that are permeable because they don't have, you know, mouths and stuff. Plants and vertebrates have stronger cell walls on external areas because their function is to keep inside stuff inside and outside stuff outside. Invertebrates tend to not have such protection. Critters with exoskeletons breathe through spiroles, so any toxin gets deep unto their insides very quickly. Critters whose bodies have to change shape quickly and easily can't do so as well with strong external protection, which is why snails, for example, go into their shells when there's a water quality issue.

There is something about gram negative and gram positive that comes into play.

When I used H2O2 on cyanobacteria, I used a little medicine syringe.

My understanding, and this is totally without citation because I'm exhausted, is that hydrogen peroxide steals hydrogen molecules, which destroys fragile cell walls. That's why it fizzes. Single cell critters and plants have cell membranes that are permeable because they don't have, you know, mouths and stuff. Plants and vertebrates have stronger cell walls on external areas because their function is to keep inside stuff inside and outside stuff outside. Invertebrates tend to not have such protection. Critters with exoskeletons breathe through spiroles, so any toxin gets deep unto their insides very quickly. Critters whose bodies have to change shape quickly and easily can't do so as well with strong external protection, which is why snails, for example, go into their shells when there's a water quality issue.

There is something about gram negative and gram positive that comes into play.

When I used H2O2 on cyanobacteria, I used a little medicine syringe.
Mostly agree.....but ya...thats why it would take unreal amounts. I currently trying to kill some now. Testing rams ponds and mts. They are in 16oz cup

Okay, T, I managed to miss several posts here. Sorry.

That's pretty heartbreaking about losing your snails and shrimp! What kH booster do you use?

The safety data sheet for Excel says:
Section 10: STABILITY and REACTIVITY
STABILITY: This product is stable under normal conditions of use.
REACTIVITY: This product is non-reactive under normal conditions of use.
HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION:Will not occur.
CONDITIONS TO AVOID:Temperatures above the boiling point or flash point.
MATERIALS WITH WHICH SUBSTANCE IS INCOMPATIBLE:Avoid contact with: Strong acids. Strong bases. Strong oxidizers.
DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS: Decomposition products can include and are not limited to: Carbon dioxide, Alcohols, Ethers, Hydrocarbons, Polymer fragments.

Prime is pretty much the same:
Section 10: STABILITY and REACTIVITY
STABILITY: This product is stable under normal conditions of use.
REACTIVITY: This product is non-reactive under normal conditions of use.
HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION:Will not occur.
CONDITIONS TO AVOID:Temperatures above the boiling pointor flash point.
MATERIALS WITH WHICH SUBSTANCE IS INCOMPATIBLE:Avoid contact with: Strong acids. Strong bases. Strong oxidizers.
DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS: Decomposition products can include and arenot limited to: Carbon dioxide, Alcohols, Ethers,Hydrocarbons,Polymer fragments.

Unfortunately it doesn't say what happens when either interacts with a strong oxidizer. It feels boilerplate. Still, the combination could cause issues.

So sorry.

I am using Prime to treat tap water. The RO/di has equilibrium and Kent KH. But I want to get back to the question of what it is. The idea of precipitation of iron intrigues me, thanks PerfectDepth!

I do not add iron but perhaps this big guy is. IMG_8290.jpg
Lava can have so much buried in it... I tested the rock for ph jumps and cured it. But that fine dust may be coming from the rock.

Ya... I have read that. And I'm not dosing iron. And this dusty stuff in the tank? I'm wondering if it is iron precipitation and not algae at all.

Ya... I have read that. And I'm not dosing iron. And this dusty stuff in the tank? I'm wondering if it is iron precipitation and not algae at all.
That hard to say with the scape. Hows the overall flow. Powerhead?

Yea I tend to believe that iron alone turns plants red. If that was the case everyone would be dosing stupid amounts of iron into tanks.
It certainly helps but plants tend to go red when lighting is higher and all needs are met. Healthy plants will turn red even without extra iron. However to make them a really dark red u do need additional iron along with other things. I saw a guy who dosed a crazy amount of iron and injected extremely high levels of co2 and he turned bylxa japonica so red it was almost purple! Very impressive. Google red bylxa japonica, it's the first picture that comes up.

Yea I tend to believe that iron alone turns plants red. If that was the case everyone would be dosing stupid amounts of iron into tanks.
It certainly helps but plants tend to go red when lighting is higher and all needs are met. Healthy plants will turn red even without extra iron. However to make them a really dark red u do need additional iron along with other things. I saw a guy who dosed a crazy amount of iron and injected extremely high levels of co2 and he turned bylxa japonica so red it was almost purple! Very impressive. Google red bylxa japonica, it's the first picture that comes up.
Agree ...I'll add its imo the most important micro. I believe its under utilized. Hard to have too much. Low persistence. Years ago its was classified as a macro.

Question for the gods.....fe and par help red plants...we all agree right?

Find the areas of the plant where perhaps the sun would be the brightest (desert)...wheres the red plants.

Where are most red plants found....understory????

Back
Top Bottom