What do I need to start a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Watsonja4

Aquarium Advice Activist
As the title states I need help with my shopping list. After doing some research and asking a few questions on here I have decided to go with a Fluval spec v and a hydor 25w heater . My goal with this tank is for it to be low-tech planted with a betta and possibly some shrimp if the betta turns out to be friendly. So that being said I need help with choosing substrate, what do you recommend? I would like to have a small piece of betta safe driftwood with a few small river rocks as a hardscape, what type of driftwood would be good and where can I order it from? Sorry for so many questions and any help will be appreciated.:thanks:

I got one adult shrimp and several fry. My betta enjoyed the fry. Very tasty. Only one left is the adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In a low tech tank I've had success without using any of the fancy substrate brands. I like to use black natural looking pebbles. Smaller grains help hold plants in place. Sand also works. I chose black stone substrate because it contrasts nicely with the plants. Depending on what plants you grow you may need to supplement root tabs.

I have used Goldvine driftwood with Betta. I would just buy driftwood that has no really sharp bits to hook a betta by their fins. I like to soak driftwood for a couple of weeks before adding it to a tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom