What do I really need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thever

Aquarium Advice Activist
Getting the tank back into shape and need a few pointers. Its a 24 or so gallon high bow with a diy hood light(2 13 watt cfl mounted vertical with work light reflectors-don't laugh, its good enough for who its for)

1 - Do I need to dose ferts? If so just the basics macro, micro?
2 - Am I overdoing the light aka am I approaching necessary co2?

Right now, I am dosing excel 2.5 ml daily, and flourish comprehensive once or so per week 2ml. I used to have some ferts, but they are pretty much all gone, so I will need to order some soon if needed. Thanks

It's probably a 26g if it's a bowfront.

With 2x13W lighting, you don't need any CO2. Depending on your plants, you probably don't need any ferts either.

What kind of plants do you have in there?

Plants:
Crypt wendtii red - probably doing the best
Java fern - almost killed it, a few green leaves emerging
grandiflous sword - grew out of the tank, leaves withered and not sure how to start it over.
dwarf sagittaria - not bad, but a lot of leaf tip rot and transparency
anubias congensis- -this one is in bad shape too, but does have a few new leaves forming
sagittaria
hygrophilia 'kompact' - new plant
Micranthemum umbrosum- Baby Tears
tiny bit of Java Moss - discovered that on the DW, not sure where that came from.

It will be intereresting to see how the plants respond to the new lighting - I was using a coralife 28 watt PC and it looks ALOT brighter in there now. Heres a recent pic, still have some work to do

Attachments

• 100_1331.jpg
    100_1331.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 52
co2 is always good for the tank and a pressurized system is the best thing. Its better than a DIY because you can control how many bubbles you want in there

I had all that stuff(tank,regulator..the works) but sold it all off, that was before I had this tank. I'm debating on doing it, but thats why Im asking a few questions. I know adding co2 would help the plants max out in the light I have, or even allow me to get some larger bulbs, but dont want to get in over my head needlessly.

Take the sword out of the aquarium and look at in the middle of the roots where they join with the stem. If you see something that looks like a bulb (like a small tulip bulb) that is the corm. You'll want to gently break it off and remove it. A sword develops a corm when it's going into dormancy, so removing it causes it to start growing again. Remove any stems that don't have leaves as close to the roots as possible. If the roots are long enough to make replanting difficult, you can trim them to about 6-8" long. When your replant it, putting a root tab under it will also help it grow.

To keep it from growing out the top of the aquarium, you can try trimming off the leaves that are getting leggy to encourage it to grow the shorter stems. If all the leaves are doing this, then it is probably either a larger plant or the light is a little on the low side.

You might need to dose some trace nutrients and potassium, but that would be the most you'll be likely to need with your current lighting. Regular water changes and fish waste will provide the rest.

Faile, Excellent!, thank you for that info, and I did notice that when I took the plant out, kind of a nub right in the middle of the root mass(which is an understatement, probably 5' if you put it all end to end)

Cleaned it all up, seems like it still needs something in the left side..tall and green, but not something that spreads like mad. Might go to the LPS and get some more fish tonight...my lone fish probably could use some company.

Attachments

• 100_1374.jpg
    100_1374.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 50
beautiful tank.

High light plants need 2-3x of the aquarium in gallons (your probably looking for a 50 - 70 watts)

Fish waste and uneaten food acts as ferts for the plants

Back
Top Bottom