What do people think about Marine Snow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been thinking of getting this or something else to target feed or at least suplment the corals in the tank.

I know the walt wiss products people dont overly like.

But what about the Marine Snow product?

Been using marine snow for a week now. I'll keep everyone updated on what happens. A few corals have perked up a little but nothing major.

I used it and my corals always seem full. I dont use it anymore and they still look full. However, for as cheap as it is, I know it cant hurt.

I haven't found it necessary to supplament my homemade food, when I process it I make sure I liquify some of it to feed the inverts. If I were to add a food for my corals it would be live phyto-plankton, like DT's. I have read that after the DT's has gone out of date....it's still better than the marine snow. I seem to remember that Rob Toonan did an article on different plankton/phyto-plankton sources....
Planktonic Foods for Reef Aquaria: If you feed the tank, are these foods for you?" Marine Fish & Reef USA Annual 2002
Not sure if I've got this annual or not, if I do...I'll scan it and send it to ya.

I read the same article. I have been using the Kent stuff (phytoplex, chromaplex, ect...) and it seems to work OK. I want to try some of the DT or maybe get some live cultures going.
Logan J

I agree on the homemade food thought. The mush I make feeds everything. The corals literally stuff themselves on it.

Planktonic Foods for Reef Aquaria: If you feed the tank, are these foods for you?" Marine Fish & Reef USA Annual 2002
Not sure if I've got this annual or not, if I do...I'll scan it and send it to ya.

If you find it that would be great.

Kevin - if you don't have it, I do.

FF - from what I've read about Marine Snow, the stuff is relatively worthless. If I remember right, I think it's like 99.99% water, or pretty close to that.

I use our Homemade Food, and spike that with Tahitian Blend Cryopaste (phyto), Golden Pearls (the 2 smaller sizes), and Sweetwater Zooplankton. The phyto (1/2 recommended dose) gets added to the food nightly, and I alternate nights with the Golden Pearls and Zooplankton.

Note - the Zooplankton & Phyto don't really 'directly' benefit the corals, however, I believe in "feeding the tank", as long as it's not overdone.

HTH,

Well whom ever wants to scan it in feel free as I would enjoy reading.

RL what you say backs up what I heard from a fellow reefer today. He said it was 99% suger water.

He said it was 99% suger water.

Is it made by Marc Weiss?? I thought it was made by Two Little Fishies...LOL.

I've got it, but it will be tomorrow afternoon or later this evening before I can scan it. Baseball game tonight. If you receive the article post in here and I won't bother to scan it.

Note - the Zooplankton & Phyto don't really 'directly' benefit the corals, however, I believe in "feeding the tank", as long as it's not overdone.
After doing some research, I now run my UV sterilizer 24/7 on my reef. Because zooplankton to directly benefit corals, if the UV kills the plankton it does not directly effect the corals.

i to can say i love marine snow. been using it over 2 yrs now. yes it is made by two little fishies.

Back
Top Bottom