What do the others in your life think of your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do the other people in your life think of your fish addiction..erm..hobby?

• Pretend they don't care, but are as much or more obsessed then you

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actively dislike fish

• Couldn't care less

• Love them just as much

• Total voters
I am going to drag up this old thread because it's great! I was searching for something else and came across it. I know there's a ton of new fish lovers on this board (myself included).

My fiancé got me into this hobby, so of course he loves the fish as much as I do. However, my mom (lives in NY, hasn't even seen my fish) won't let me get a word in about them during our phone conversations. Yet, I sit through her telling me all about her cat :?

Menagerie, I'm glad you brought the thread back up! It's too funny to read. My husband definitely isn't as interested in any of our tanks as much as I am, but he helps me change the water, picks out fish at the LFS that he "might want" and is a very patient listener to my rants about water chemistry etc. My 2 year old daughter is a fishy nut and has her own little eclipse with white clouds in her room. And let me add that no one in our house can sleep anywhere else since we're so used to aquarium sounds at night.

this is a funny topic... My sister and nephew, who live far far away, love my hobbies... My wife is fairly interested... She is another one who prefers things to look clean. I have a 10 gal that I raise pill bugs in and she thinks the tank looks gross... it has water spots on it like crazy but I don't think it matters what it looks like because pill bugs aren't quite the type of pet you sit and watch, though I do on occasion... She likes the different things I bring home... I have found that the more she learns about something, the more she likes it... Even FOOTBALL... yes football. I'm not a Huge fan, I don't need to watch every game.. I don't know who is who as far as players go, I just like to watch a few games here and there... She didn't get any of it so I would explain a little here and there. Now that she is understanding what goes on she actually likes to watch it with me... The same goes for all my "critter" hunting... She likes to see what I bring home... in fact, one day about a year or two ago she was taking my oldest daughter for a walk.. well I looked out the window and saw her coming up the street holding a baby blanket over her head.... I was thinking "what in the world".. then I see a scrape on her leg. So I asked her what happened... She saw a snake in the road and threw the baby blanket on it and brought it home to me... We both like amphibians more but she's definitely interested in a lot of this stuff...

:lol: Well, as you might guess from my handle I like bugs... but the real reason is to have them handy... I have two firebelly toads that I've had for over a year, and I usually have some other things crawling around here... let's just say I never buy food for any of them... I raise a few things, especially for the winter time, which isn't that long here, and during warmer weather I catch all sorts of things... Pill bugs do make decent pets though. They don't get very big, if you look hard there are a few different colors, I just keep them in soil with some rocks and sticks and I feed them a few veggie scraps from the house... they eat them and turn it into even more fertile soil... Indoor composting :lol:

My 1 year old likes to try to stick his hand in my 10Gallon (yeah, its on the bottom rack of my makeshift "stand" where they can get to it). Other than that he would just want to bang on the glass of the 29 Gallon but he can't quite reach it.

The 2-1/2 year old loves to feed the fish. She also likes to pick out fish at the store ...unfortunately, I can't get the one she really wants (a false percula since she watched finding nemo). I may have to get a more colorful fish for here soon...

Their mother saw the 29gallon for the first time when she picked the kids up after the weekend and said, "that's a big tank". I guess in my small room it does look big.

If I ever start dating again whatever girl I date will have to accept my fish as well since I don't plan on giving up this hobby any time soon.

i'm pretty sure my roomates think i'm weird. now that the algae is gone, they're more attracted to the big tank in the living room. i love it when i catch 'em staring. turns out they've named all the fish. good thread. its nice to know you all are a weird as i am.

medge00 said:
i'm pretty sure my roomates think i'm weird.

I am in the same boat. I almost feel ashamed of talking about fish tanks and stuff around them. Luckly my girlfriend is getting over the whole thing. She likes going to petshops with me which is nice. Still thinks I am crazy though :)

it was my other half that got ME into fish........id always loved fish tanks but never actually done anything about it. other half had one as a child & always wanted to get another so was thrilled when he brought the subject up & i said ooooh ive always fancied a tropical fish tank.
were both as bad as eachother when it comes to spending to much, worrying about sick fish etc etc & really enjoy going to lfs & seeing all the fish, buying ours more treats & dreaming about a bigger & better home for our lot!!! or even better another tank :D
and he came home immediately last wednesday when i phoned him at work to say we had a major disaster with our fishies - big tank leak...but thats another story i will post about shortly(VERY traumatic day for all) 8O

Back
Top Bottom