What do you like or dislike about LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RUBE31

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are some things that make your LFS good or bad?
What products (fish, plants, corals etc etc..) would you like to see in your LFS? Or what would you like to see less of?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like mine because it is just down the street that I live on.
The owner and I have become friends sort of.
She can get me any fish I want and any size I want within a week's time.
My Chihuahua and I go shopping there frequently.
She also cut me a great deal on a 75 and a stand.

I really like my LFS because they've got all kinds of nano specimens, cichlids, pretty much anything you can think of and the store and tanks are big enough to accommodate all of the fish they keep. Only thing they could possibly do a better job is welcoming customers and customer service. Sometimes you just don't feel welcome there and they don't seem too friendly when helping you out.

I have 2 LFS's one is a large chain store. They sell a great selection of frozen foods and their prices are generally readily low. What I dislike about this shop is that they don't have variety with anything else and they won't even place a specific order.

The second shop is great in that regard. If you have anything you want they will order it for you and their customer service is great. They seem to greet most of their customers by name. Only downside is that on large purchases like filters our lighting etc, their prices can be ridiculous.

Thanks for the feed back so far guys. Im debating on weather or not I should open up an LFS in my area and I want different points of view and insight from as many people as possible. If I do open up shop, I definitely want different hard to find fish and plants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 3 lfs's near me.
The part I really like is that they are all knowledgeable in their own areas. If I need information on plants, I got to one of them, for saltwater, two of them are good (who doesn't want a reef tank, they are beautifull, but not ready yet for one here), and for fish, I'll got to all three. Which one I go to for the fish all comes down to what I'm getting. When I'm getting more than just one species, it's whoever has everyone in stock at that time(one stop so no one has to wait in the car).

My biggest pet pieve, parents who bring their children in and don't do anything about them running around and banging on the aquariums. I feel so bad for the staff when that happens, they try to tell the kids to not do that, only to get the parents fussing at them to not tell their children how to behave.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the feed back so far guys. Im debating on weather or not I should open up an LFS in my area and I want different points of view and insight from as many people as possible. If I do open up shop, I definitely want different hard to find fish and plants.

Here's a mixed list, based on two chain stores and two LFSs near me:

The Bad

Walk into the store and it's like I don't exist. I don't need an employee doting on me, but it's basic customer service to greet the new arrival and ask if they need some help. The chain stores are good about this, the LFSs bad.

Dead fish -- get them out of the tank! Someone should walk the tanks once an hour and remove anything that's died.

Sick tanks -- These should be marked "NFS" and "under treatment." If I can spot an obvious fungus on a fish, so should you. Nothing should be sold from a diseased tank. (In fact, I was very impressed with one LFS that not only would label a tank "NFS," but would list the disease and the treatment, turning it into a lesson for the customer.)

Plants -- do not sell non-aquatic plants as aquatics. (Looking at you, chain stores.)

The Good

Variety I -- Carry three-four lines of food, as complete as possible. Same with filters, spare parts, and other equipment.

Variety II -- Carry varieties of fish and plants different from the standard (but include the standard). Surprise and delight me. (My LFS in Santa Monica is great for this.)

Service -- You can't beat the chains on price, usually, so hook me with service: knowledgeable advice and a willingness to special order is invaluable.

Cleanliness -- Not just removing dead fish, but the tanks are clean and it looks like the fish are cared for.

Anyway, those would be my items good and bad. If you do open an LFS, best of luck with it! (y)

So recently I have been checking out my local fish stores (LFS). So near me are Petco and Petsmart and a bunch of small LFS.

I will be frankly honest, gear ends up to easy to get at the pet* stores. In the end I buy there. Now for fish it's been a mix. Most LFS are kinda split between: must sell or you don't exist.

Now I have found two gems near me that break out of that mold.

One is a shop I will buy fish from. It has an incredible variety of fish. Nearly every tank has potted plants in it for sale. No over stocked tanks. Dedicated hospital and quarantine tanks list as not for sale. No dead anything. Friendly people who try and help. I like it. Set up that kind of LFS and you will get traction.

The other? The exotic supply shop. Food and gear you can find nowhere else. Great at answering questions. Now the fish flat out didn't impress me on the freshwater side. Salt yes. But I will not be buying any freshwater fish there. Gear? Yes.

The others? I will be avoiding. Dead fish or sick fish all over the place in some. Others just seemed to be trying to direct compete with the pet* places. Though some of the none death traps had pretty discus. But so did my favorite so far.

Dunno... Old thread but figured I would share.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight Ashenwelt.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In the process of it, im thinking about do it from home and selling online first to generate income amd get known then open up shop. The prices here in Orlando are ridiculusly high unless youre in the ghetto. I want to have things that no one else has as far as plants and fish at a reasonable price, with a knowlagable and friendly staff......and definitly a wow factor as soon as someone walks in.

Don't underestimate Craigslist and other services. Or on demand suppliers. And good luck on this!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I have wondered on this although setting up a shop isn't something I could see myself doing due to all the competition out there. I try to get to one lfs that just has great stocking and service - perhaps a little more high end.

I gather that growing plants at home and potting up trimmings for shop is often done. Some definitely as emersed - would be interesting to see a setup where plants are mainly grown for profit.

I agree that any dead fish should be removed promptly and I appreciate seeing a QT sign. Seeing a dead fish is just about a walk out signal for me as I'm wary on the rest of the tank even if just an acclimatisation problem for new stock.

Cichlids have apparently slowed down here, probably due to all the job cuts rather than going out of fashion. Shrimp are very big lately.

I strongly suggest that if you have never worked in a LFS, you don't open up one until you have. Being a veteran of the pet "Business" I can tell you that there is huge difference between the hobby end and the pro end. Take a job, part time if you must, at a store just to see what it is like. You might find that it's not your cup of tea and remaining on the outside might suit you better. You might find that you love it and you will have made some connections during your job that will help you when setting your own place up. (y)
Most hobbyists I have watched get into the business over the past 40+ years don't make it because they forget, it's a business and not a hobby. I do know of others who are still in the business after 30, 40 or more years because they understood that difference.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need some "local(ish) help" (y)

I have a few. Sometimes the unpopular ones are the best. They can hook you up with a fish. Get to know the owner. If you are good friends you can get great deals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom