What do you use as hide holes for your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau1parker

Aquarium Advice Regular
What do you use for hide holes for your fish?
Struggling to find a hide hole for my catfish !

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fake rocks with caves / tunnels. These have smaller entrances than a fake crashed plane I have and seem to be more preferred.

I have a two piece pirate ship that came from Petco which my rainbow shark claims as his grumpy hermit hideout. My pleco likes to lay upside down on the substrate under a fake stump decoration.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A well arranged pile of rocks makes great hiding holes for most fish. That or a large piece of driftwood.

What species of Catfish ?
I have Shrimp tubes, my C habrosus likes. Here are some bad pics.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419885397.723772.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419885413.538410.jpg

You can make or buy Pleco/Cichlid caves. Just make sure that any hiding spaces you put in there are not what this fish can get caught in.

Many catfish have died going up inside decor that taller inside space ( like chimney) that they go up in the top of it and then can't get out so watch out for that.

Offer multiple hiding places so the fish has choices and doesn't choose something that's not actually a good fit out of desperation.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a half coconut, with an entrance and a hole at the top, sometimes my cat fish just put their head through the top, so comical...........

We have some of just about everything (lots of tanks), but if I were looking to make something I would go with a sculpey (oven curable clay) cave. We have made several and they are what our plecos choose to breed in.

I use small glass vases I find at thrift stores (CLEAN them VERY WELL first), then mostly burry them in substrate and rocks.

I've also seen quite a few people use small taracotta plant pots turned on their side.

You can also get rock such as river rock stones from Home Depot) and use aquarium safe silicone (also at Home Depot) to glue them together.

This is a pic of my vases and rocks silicones together to form a rock wall with caves.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419921171.665030.jpg

We have some of just about everything (lots of tanks), but if I were looking to make something I would go with a sculpey (oven curable clay) cave. We have made several and they are what our plecos choose to breed in.

The best one they breed in is something like that. One narrow entrance but a few smaller holes. I assume for the others they are too open and the loaches get to the eggs.

Liking the advice everone! Shopping list is getting better !!

What species of Catfish ?
I have Shrimp tubes, my C habrosus likes. Here are some bad pics.
View attachment 259505View attachment 259506

You can make or buy Pleco/Cichlid caves. Just make sure that any hiding spaces you put in there are not what this fish can get caught in.

Many catfish have died going up inside decor that taller inside space ( like chimney) that they go up in the top of it and then can't get out so watch out for that.

Offer multiple hiding places so the fish has choices and doesn't choose something that's not actually a good fit out of desperation.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get them tubes from? My fish would love that, i have one albino cory and apparently a upside down catfish? I rescued it from my friends tank when it smashed and i ended up keeping it :D

Where can i get them from? Cheers

I've seen people use PVC pipe cut in half. Some use aquarium silicone to glue on substrate so it looks more natural.

I've seen people use PVC pipe cut in half. Some use aquarium silicone to glue on substrate so it looks more natural.

Sounds a good idea , going to b&q tonight so will have a look , do you need to wash the pvc before you add it to the tank?

Any hobby store (Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.) will have the clay. Just be sure to read how they are cured.

I'm not sure, I've never used it, I always rinse anything that goes into the tank in hot or boiling water - check out YouTube or the DIY forum someone might have better tips than I do on using PVC

Where did you get them tubes from? My fish would love that, i have one albino cory and apparently a upside down catfish? I rescued it from my friends tank when it smashed and i ended up keeping it :D

The Shrimp person I bought these from is out of business. She was involved in a bit of a scandal. But I do like the tubes.
http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Acrylic-Mini-Shrimp-Tubes/dp/B00H71CQ5M
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I16AH2G/ref=pd_aw_sbs_2?pi=SL500_SS115&simLd=1

These would be too small for many catfish, check the size before you buy them. My catfish are tiny pygmy species.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom