What else to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandc805

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 Clowns, 2 green chromis, 1 valencia goby, 1 yellow wrasse and 3 PJ cardinals that all I feed is Mysis and Brine shrimp. Is there some type of extra nutrients I can sub every few days or week to help them out or is this all they need?
Thanks

Ever considered making your own food with fresh seafood? Extremely healthy, cheap, and easy. I make a blender mush that I currently use, consisting of talapia, shrimp, oysters, scallops, phytoplankton, some greens, brine, mysis, and some Zoa by Kent. Fish love it. Freeze into a flat sheet and break off a chunk for feeding time.

Schism said:
Ever considered making your own food with fresh seafood? Extremely healthy, cheap, and easy. I make a blender mush that I currently use, consisting of talapia, shrimp, oysters, scallops, phytoplankton, some greens, brine, mysis, and some Zoa by Kent. Fish love it. Freeze into a flat sheet and break off a chunk for feeding time.

What do you mean a flat sheet?

Gboy66 said:
What do you mean a flat sheet?

Get a gallon zip lock bag, fill it, and freeze the bag on its side in the freezer.

I'd also recommend throwing in a vitamin soak.

Recipe would be greatly appreciated!! We have chromis, three 3 striped damsels, three eels, abalone snail, and various CUC.

I use bait shrimp finely minced and fish juice for one recipe and the second tetra food bait shrimp and garlic

Wendy68 said:
Recipe would be greatly appreciated!! We have chromis, three 3 striped damsels, three eels, abalone snail, and various CUC.

Great thing about it is there is no set recipe. You pretty much make your own out of what ever your supermarket has or what you has at home. I do however recommend using fresh shrimp for the base of the mixture. Shrimp is very high in nutrition while also being very low in phosphorus.

But as an example for my last batch i used the following.

1/4 pound fresh shrimp
6oz talapia fillet
4 scallops
4 oysters
Tbsp Phytoplankton
Tbsp Zoe by Kent Marine (vitamins + other goodies)
Half package of thawed Brine
Half package of thawed Mysis
And some green flake food, i believe it was formula 2 flakes.

All blended to a thick paste and frozen flat on a cookie sheet in a freezer bag. Freezer bag is then rolled out to a thin sheet so its easy to break pieces off. Freeze overnight and its ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom