What equipment should i use???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfishboo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm making a saltwater reef, the tank i'm going to use a 40-50g tank. What lighting fixtures are the best, im planing on having coral but not coral that needs h power lighting

ps (is it better to have a nicer skimmer or to have a canister filter for my reef)
I'm going to have a sump.

thanks

Really the lighting depends pretty much on what you want to have in the tank. IMHO, I think the best light you can afford will always be best. You will eventually want to get different species that require more light, and then you will end up with a closet of old lights like I have. Better to start with one good one.

If you are going to use a sump and live rock for filtration, you really should not need a canister. They are PIA to maintain, and really serve no purpose. You would be much better of with a good skimmer in combo with wet dry.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for responding

Did you mean a nicer skimmer with a sump or wet dry.
Because i thought you wernt supose tohave a wet dry filter with live rock in a reef tank.

also are there any brands of lighting fixtured/lights that are cheaper but will still get the job done for medium light corals.

thanks

Ok let me try to be a little more specific.

First - wet dry is a great filter for a reef tank. What you are probably referring to is removing the biological materials (bio balls normally) out of it. These can be a trap and cause high nitrate levels. IMO the wet dry is still the only way to go. Actually even with the canister filter I used to use, I eventually removed all of the ceramic noodles for the same reason. The key is you have all the biological filtration you need with enough live rock/sand. Now, I would invest in a protein skimmer to go inside said wet dry, or a hang on (I use a aqua c remora and one in sump). So what I meant was a good skimmer, in combination with a wet dry. Again, that is only my opinion and what I would do.

Regarding lighting, I was looking on ebay a few days ago for replacement bulbs and came across this. AQUARIUM LIGHT 48" REEF ODYSSEA 260WT POWER COMPACT - eBay (item 360073009181 end time Jul-29-08 08:00:00 PDT)

While I have not personally used them, the price is killer, and it should be enough light for almost whatever you will want. These have l.e.d. for moonlight and seem to be pretty nice, especially considering this one went for 76 bucks. Less then I paid for bulbs!!!

If anyone has any experience with these I am sure they will chime in.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

A wet dry is OK. I used one for awhile. I used LR and a skimmer for a good while. I recently added a refugium a couple yrs ago. Wet dry`s have their purpose but I decided I didnt want one for my reef. JMO

Back
Top Bottom