What Ferts to Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piggypie

Aquarium Advice Activist
What types of fertilizers would be good for a 10gal tank with a 18000K, 15W bulb for anacharis, java fern, Brazilian pennywort, anubias, frogbit, a marimo ball, and maybe some guppy grass or java moss? I have some glow light tetras, some pygmy corydoras, and a female betta in there too.

What types of fertilizers would be good for a 10gal tank with a 18000K, 15W bulb for anacharis, java fern, Brazilian pennywort, anubias, frogbit, a marimo ball, and maybe some guppy grass or java moss? I have some glow light tetras, some pygmy corydoras, and a female betta in there too.

18,000K ?? Sounds like a SW bulb. Usual planted tank bulbs are 5,000K to 10,000K
I try to keep mine at 6,500K for a nice look.

With small tanks I use liquid Ferts. Seachem makes Flourish Comprehensive and Excel liquid Carbon. I use both weekly. I do add DIY root caps about every 4mo as I grow Crypts.

18,000K ?? Sounds like a SW bulb. Usual planted tank bulbs are 5,000K to 10,000K
I try to keep mine at 6,500K for a nice look.

With small tanks I use liquid Ferts. Seachem makes Flourish Comprehensive and Excel liquid Carbon. I use both weekly. I do add DIY root caps about every 4mo as I grow Crypts.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding bulbs in that range that people seem happy with :( do you know if the Aqueon Full Spectrum Daylight is any good? It's 8,000K and 15W, but supposedly gives of greenish light.

Thanks so much :) Have you ever had problems with your fish reacting to your ferts?

I have to agree with needing a different bulb. You can try this. It's a little on the low side of the kelvin rating, but the spectrum looks pretty good. I am guessing you have a t8 bulb and you have picked low light happy plants by the looks of it. Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Zoo Med Flora Sun Fluorescent Bulbs .
I also wanted to add that I have never had any issues with my fish and my ferts. I have used several different types from flourish comp to pps-pro dry ferts. As long as you follow the direction you'll be fine.

An 18,000K bulb has a ton of blue spectrum light with very little red spectrum. Freshwater plants don't utilize that high a blue light very well but algae can. I also suggest a lower K rated bulb.

As for ferts... in such a small tank with the plants you have I too suggest Seachem Flourish Comprehensive BUT I also suggest using API Leaf Zone which is basically iron and potassium. Using the two in smaller tanks I've found works quite well.

Then if you use a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel daily this will help plants with photosynthesis and faster growth.

As for ferts... in such a small tank with the plants you have I too suggest Seachem Flourish Comprehensive BUT I also suggest using API Leaf Zone which is basically iron and potassium. Using the two in smaller tanks I've found works quite well.

Then if you use a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel daily this will help plants with photosynthesis and faster growth.

Thanks, I'll try that :)
And what about Tropic Sun from Zoo Med that's what I was looking at originally... It's 5,500K and peaks a little differently. That's the one I heard can make your water look weird though, so maybe the Flora Sun is better.

Go with the ZooMed "Ultra Sun" bulb. It's what I have in my tank and it looks fantastic. I wasn't a fan of the "flora sun" bulb, it made things a weird color IMO.

Back
Top Bottom