What filtration for very small tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wallacej

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up a very small (approx. 11 UK litres) aquarium to keep some goldfish. Can anybody advise me on the best type of filtration system? If so can anyone recommend some specific products? I have had larger tropical aquariums in the past and so I know a bit about filtration. However I have no experience with small tanks. Apart from when I was a child and I'm sure we didn't have any filtration at all!

Thank You

1. Not even a small goldfish should go in an 11L tank....the need about 35L per goldfish to be healthy.

2. A small undergravel or sponge filter would work on an 11L tank.

3. Might I suggest 3-5 white cloud minnows or a betta instead?

thank you. i'll have a look at those fish. i bought this aquarium as part of a complete set marketed for gold fish. can you recommend any undergravel filters?

thanks

UGFs are all pretty similar, a hard plastic plate that goes under the gravel and is powered by an airstone (attached by tubing to a small airpump) that sits in the lift-tube and creates upward current.

Is your tank rectangular are circular?

I've got a Hagen Elite 2. Its rectangular but the front is slightly rounded. With the tank I got a sponge filter but the first 2 fish that I got were sucked into it! It was only set to the first notch on the flow control. I came in to see one of my fish dead with its fins all shredded, when I was trying to remove it the other fish got sucked onto it. I couldn't believe my eyes. The fish had been in that setup for a few weeks with no trouble. Anyway this is why I'm interested in undergravel as I don't trust the sponge filters in such a small tank.

I'm sorry about your fish, wallacej :cry:

I have sponge filters in small tanks. I use a gang valve to regulate the airflow coming from the airpump, so the flow from the sponge filter isn't so strong. There's a picture in my gallery of my airpump and gang valve setup. Maybe that could work in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom