What filtration to go with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I currently have a hob filter right now. I was thinking of upgrading to a penn plex canister filter. Is this better and will it help me lower nitrites

Nitrate or nitrite?
Nitrate is mainly managed via water changes. Adding a canister filter won't assist with them. If not managed correctly, it can actually add to the issues if not cleaned out weekly during water changes.

Nitrate. I'm currently at a 15. Brought it down from a 80 doing weekly water changes

A protein skimmer would help remove organics from the water column before they enter the nitrate cycle.
Biopellets would be another option in terms of nitrate reduction.
Algae turf scrubbers are popular and very effective at lowering nitrate levels. Sadly there aren't many commercial ones available due to patients, but I'd be expecting to see them entering the market place sooner rather than later.

Have you heard anything about the instant ocean protein skimmer? I don't have a lot of money to spend a couple hundred on one and this one seemed to get okay reviews

Have you heard anything about the instant ocean protein skimmer? I don't have a lot of money to spend a couple hundred on one and this one seemed to get okay reviews

Instant ocean / sea clone

Garbage

I wound up doing so many modifications to get it to skim correctly
I had modified the propeller so it looked like a spiderweb this was my first modification,

my second modification was shortening the tower 4 inch ,

both worked fine for a few weeks than back to the same thing it stopped skimming.

than my 3rd modification was adding a internal air stone that seemed to help some but not enough ,

my fourth modification was adding a bigger intake pump worked great for about a month . back to the same problem it stopped skimming,

between the time and money I invested in this stupid skimmer , I should have bought my reef octopus from the start. not one complaint other than the price but it paid for itself ,

Should I run my regular filter all the time with the protein skimmer, or only until the protein skimmer really starts working?

Back
Top Bottom