what fish are these? curious to identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisalugh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Number one no idea

ForumRunner_20131114_205701.jpg

Number two not the best pic but no idea
ForumRunner_20131114_205731.jpg

no idea?

ForumRunner_20131114_205810.jpg

Maybe a giraffe cichlid

ForumRunner_20131114_205828.jpg

Any ideas would be great! Ilk also try and get a better pic soon

K the last one does look like a venustus. The 3rd one looks kinda like a dragonblood/ruby crystal cichlid. And the 2nd looks like an Otopharynx lithobates-either a female or just not fully colored. Not completely sure though, hopefully someone else can confirm these.

First one looks like an OB Second is a Malawian hap, not showing color or females. Not sure on species Third is dragons blood Fourth is venustus

What size tank? You Have some 7"+ cichlids on there

Your ob and dragon blood are both hybrid species of aulancara and will be pushing 6" and your venustus and mystery hap could push 8". I would go a big as you can fit and afford.

Yup agreed. And yeah the peach colored guy is not an albino, its definitely a dragonsblood, but being a hybrid, there are many color variants. And yeah i'm pretty sure that one is an otopharynx lithobates.

It does look more like intermedius to me, and they aren't that uncommon
I have to agree with otopharynx lithobates (sulfur head). Look at the belly of a juvenile intermedius, it's almost always round and protruding from the body. Now look at a lithobates juvenile and note the uniform body shape and the belly that is consistently linear all the way down the body. Just what I noticed. Either species is a more common Malawian hap, so it'll be hard to tell until it's older, and if it is indeed male

Thanks everyone for all your help!! I love this forum.

No problem!

Unfortunately, the venustus (giraffe) and the lithobates will require a much larger tank, but if you're able to get a 125 gallon, they are both phenomenal species, especially the lithobates, and a male hap tank can look amazing ;)

Back
Top Bottom