what fish can you keep with a red eared slider?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeybee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I'm new. I have a baby red eared slider and once he gets to about 4" I plan on putting a larger pleco along with some nice fish with him. I prefer white fish. The tank I'm going to get for all of them will be a 40b. Thank yall in advance! :)

Welcome to AA! Keeping fish with turtles will only work until the fish get eaten. This could take minutes or it may never happen. It's a toss up.

Thanks for replying. I understand that this may happen. Besides the fact of that, what fish can live in the same environment? Thier heat, mess, and I plan on planting the tank so the fish could hide if they feel threatened. :)

Your RES in a 40B? And Fish? Sorry but that's not a good idea. Your slider will outgrow the breeder fast and the only fish that will have a chance at surviving are the aggressive cichlids and sunfish. Also, a pleco is a bad idea unless you have excellent filtration and a much larger tank. Also if the pleco is not MUCH bigger than your turtle I guarantee your RES will rip him to shreds. I'm an unfortunate witness of this. Have had my RES for 7 years so please take my advice. If you want fish you need a larger tank.

placos, platys, even goldfish depending on size and bio load and how much work you want to do. You have to keep the water clean, and give them a large tank or small pond and they'll be happy with you for years!

sliders should be 8" before put into an outdoor pond id say keeping him in the tank for a while will be a good idea and i wouldn't put any goldfish in with it because it will try to eat them and goldfish are bad for turtles health.

If he's only 4 inches and the goldfish are decent size, he'll stalk em, but usually not eat them. Once they move to an outdoor pond your fine with em, just make sure to keep him fed 3-5 times a week and all will be peacefull lol.

(Just don't do like my ex wife did at her dads house/pond and toss in bags O' goldfish lol. Goldfish bred like bunnys in the deeper parts in the fall/spring, and ended up eating all of the plants along the sides and or their roots which were used as bio filters!)

sliders should be 8" before put into an outdoor pond id say keeping him in the tank for a while will be a good idea and i wouldn't put any goldfish in with it because it will try to eat them and goldfish are bad for turtles health.

Why? I've never heard that before. The only difference is their outside. With a good filter and heater it should not matter.

I only had luck keeping my turtle with a common pleco until it jumped out. If you have a good filter I would get some convicts. They're aggressive fish that aren't too expensive.

I had a RES for years in a tank that ate every living thing I put in there both plants and fish. I agree that you might want to wait until he's big enough for (and living in) a pond before getting him any company.

the only fish i would keep turtles with are decent size kois. but you only have a 40B, so i'm not sure about kois in a 40B

We have chicken hawks out here so I was gonna make sure he eas fully grown before being put into a pond. Also I wasn't prepared for him due to my aunt just randomly bringing him to me so I might not be able to keep him. I'm 15 & already am setting up 2 tanks and have a bearded dragon lol im always broke! So if there's anyone in central texas that wants him message me. I believe he should have someone who could give him more attention.

I was able to keep tiger barbs and rosy bards with my turtles the RES got about 3in then got ill but my 4-5in map turtle has been rehome and now lives with some fish and dose AWSOME! They jest need to keep up on the feeding. But I got all my turtles as baby's so maby that's why thy didn't care for the fish

Back
Top Bottom