What fish/corals to put??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ameyaraje99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. Im a newbie into this hobby. I have a 29 gallon saltwater tank with around 30lbs of live rock , a canister filter, a rio nano skimmer and a CPR aquafuge hob refugium. My tank crashed about 4 weeks ago .I had a yellow tang(I know ..a rookie mistake), 2 clowns, a cleaner shrimp and a hermit crab. I was wondering if any of you could recommend what fish/corals to put in there.right now I have a small damsel and 2 small hermit crabs in there. Thanks for the help

Welcome to AA!

If you do consider getting corals, you are either going to have to get rid of the canister or do weekly cleanings on the media (by swishing it in old tank water). The canister will act as a nitrate factory producing more nitrates (which reef tanks need nitrates to be at 0).

What kind of lighting do you have? How many watts?

I would recommend getting rid of the damsel and replacing it with something else. Most damsels can and will be aggressive to other tanks-mates by either chasing them away from their territory or fighting.

As far as the rest of the 'fish' stock, Im not sure. You could get some more hermits, snails, etc to make a nice Clean up Crew.

The tank is about 3 months old. i had to recycle the tank. After the crash, i recycled it for about 3 more weeks. I've heard bad things about the canister which is why i got the refugium. The refugium currently has live rock and cheateau algae(not sure if i spelled it right). I'm considering putting some live rock rubble in one of the compartments of the canister. Would you recommend me getting rid of it?? if yes, then what filter should i go for.
As far as lighting is concerned, i have 2 lights one actinic and one regular. they are 24 inches long. i'll have to check the wattage but they are both t5's

Would a pair of clowns do well? Also which corals do I go for? Any other recommendations are welcome. Thanks again guys

No filters, no canisters. I do not know why people suggest these for SW. So pointless, just stick with a skimmer that is all you need. What kind of lights do you have?

How and why did you tank crash? was it do to nitrates? do you have test kits?

No filters, no canisters. I do not know why people suggest these for SW. So pointless, just stick with a skimmer that is all you need. What kind of lights do you have?

How and why did you tank crash? was it do to nitrates? do you have test kits?

I think my tank crashed because the nitrates and ammonia levels spiked. i had no skimmer and no refugium back then. just the canister. one day i did a 20% water change and the next day everthing was dead. i checked today and all levels are 0 (nitrate , ammonia , phosphate) . the ph levels are 8.0.this is using an API test kit. i have a twin tube t5 lighting with actinic as well as 4 moonlight leds. my current skimmer is a rio nano skimmer and it seems like its not doing its job. any skimmer around 100$ that you could recommend??

if you rinse the cannister out weekly, like stated above, it will be ok to keep. it's not necessary though. well, what i would suggest is to click through this-
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums
they have care requirements for each fish listed. if you see something you like, you can post it here and get a second opinion.
there are too many to list.

Thanks Doug. I see that youre a regular here and help people a lot. i never got to thank you for helping/advising in my last thread when my tank crashed. Thanks again :)

I would look at reef octopus for skimmer they make a nice HOB that's very efficient

Should be fine for 29 gallons but I still would suggest the reef octopus you can get it for 116.00

Would the reef octopus be compatible with larger tanks in case I upgrade in a years time. Also I need to know what I should be putting in the hob refugium. Bio balls, carbon?? Right now I have 3"sand bed, live rock and chaetau algea.

It would be good up to 90 g no carbon or bio balls in refug just some macroalgea would be fine

Thanks paddlefoot :). I'll go with the octopus skimmer.
My friend gave me a dwarf midnight angel from his tank(35 gallon) as he had overstocked. Ive put him in a quarantine tank(10 gallon) for now. Would this fish be ok ? Would it be fine with corals(acans and zoanthids) ? Will it cause problems with clowns that I'll be putting in later?? How difficult is it to maintain this fish.
Thanks for your help guys :)

i wouldn't keep an angel in a 29. they are hit or miss with corals. some nip at them, and some do not. also, it may be territorial in such a small tank. later additions might get harassed.

Another silly question. When I do a 20% water change do I just take the water out from the top or hold the siphon near the sand(currently, I do it near the sand) :p??
Also, I'm. Getting a great deal on a carpet anemone. Should I buy it or is it too much of a pain to maintain it. It's a carpet anemone.

Back
Top Bottom