What fish do you think should NOT be in the fish keeping hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw this article and thought of this thread.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-new...onfish-could-become-established-in-calif.aspx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In Florida where they have already been established for sometime, they pay people to spearfish them. There are now restaurants there that buy the Lion Fish and prepare specialty meals with them. Hasn't made much of debt in the population but at least it's something since they haven't been able to locate a predator in even their native waters that eat adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Iridescent sharks, RTC, bala sharks, archer fish

I wish bettas and goldfish were out of the hobby because they always get put in bowls:(

Iridescent sharks, RTC, bala sharks, archer fish

I wish bettas and goldfish were out of the hobby because they always get put in bowls:(

I'm a bit curious as to why you think archers shouldn't be in the hobby, they don't get huge and they have never really been a impulse buy like all of the others.

I'm a bit curious as to why you think archers shouldn't be in the hobby, they don't get huge and they have never really been a impulse buy like all of the others.

I thought they are all wild caught. Plus they need very good conditions if I'm correct

I thought they are all wild caught. Plus they need very good conditions if I'm correct

If you were going to count out wild caught fish, we would lose a large portion of the good stuff. Some of them just don't breed in high enough numbers in captivity to support commercial businesses and some of them for whatever reason won't breed in captivity at all. All fish need good conditions and archers just need to be in brackish water.

Store in my area sells goliath tiger fish, yes those goliath tiger fish!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That definitely belongs on the list of not an aquarium fish. Even if they supposedly don't reach the truly monster size in the aquarium, it is still too big.

I had to Google that one but yeah, why is that available? It's like a James Bond movie fish. Gets rid of the evidence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This was on Rivermonsters!!!!!

I agree they shouldn't be available to people like a member of my family who keeps buying them and doesn't understand their needs fully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Tetraodon mbu.
Acanthicus adonis. Pseudacanthicus histrix.

They are tank busters!
While I suggest these fish, I'm going to defend monster fish keepers, what is needed is more stringent checks and more severe penalties for animal cruelty.

I kept hypostomus plec, that's the common plec most refer to. Beautiful and peaceful.
I keep clown loaches, I have just acquired my second gibbiceps, while it isn't quite as large as hypostomus, Adonis or histrix, it is still going to be a big fish. The last one was around 38cm/15".

If I could build a tropical pond, I'd have Adonis, some rays and whatever else may fit.
If the tank fits!

http://www.fbas.co.uk/FISH CARE and LAW.pdf
But how do they enforce it, the UK law, it is common sense but at the point of sale there is not a lot to stop you you walking out with whatever you want.

People who buy fish knowing they cannot look after them for life should be criminalised, while I understand circumstances change (they did for me) the idea of growing out and selling on because you know you can't provide for the life of the fish is really something that should be bought to attention.

Better education is what we need, not persecution for a passion, some people actually must have fish, and for a few, big fish are all that matter. It isn't because of the size, it's hard to explain, while I'm a fan of things like black neon/glowlight tetra size fish, there is something about a clown loach or a big plec sp. that the small fish just can't compete with. They have more presence, grace and majesty.

People who keep arrowana, rays and red tails in the right conditions shouldn't have to suffer because of those who are blind/ignorant/uneducated/thoughtless.

Compared to some people, the fish I keep (some of which have been highlighted as non compatible) are really small!

If you have the means, have the fish! Research what you fancy, decide if you can. If you have the fish already, do the right thing, build it a big house!

How about giant gouramis? I need some help deciding this one.

I don't think it's useless, it's actually a valid point.

Look at the cost of CPD vs the cost on Oscar. Tack on that at CPDs need schools and as a newbie which you think they will choose lol..

If larger fish were priced higher people may take into consideration a form of commitment and research before buying. Much like the large saltwater fish.

Caleb

Sadly cpd's cost like 2.35 here whereas an Oscar costs like 10.99, lol our lfs sells silvertip Sharks, arowanna, Rays, and irridescant Sharks, sadly most of the employees aren't knowledgeable to know not to sell them to people with anything below an 100 gallon. I think it's the lack of education and the fact that most people don't care, because to most people they see them as "just fish".

Sent via echolocation

And that brings up a good point. Seeing as how the UK and many European countries have fish laws and fish welfare in the aquarium trade and some places go so far as to have minimum tanks sizes, we don't have that here in the US. Sure we are told what we can't have and that varies by state except for snake heads but it Seems like there is definitely the mentality that they are just fish and not real living beings.

And that brings up a good point. Seeing as how the UK and many European countries have fish laws and fish welfare in the aquarium trade and some places go so far as to have minimum tanks sizes, we don't have that here in the US. Sure we are told what we can't have and that varies by state except for snake heads but it Seems like there is definitely the mentality that they are just fish and not real living beings.

+10000000000

I hear it all the time... "Oh well, it's just a fish.."

Caleb

As long as a fish is kept in an appropriately sized tank, then fine. It's selling a goldfish to someone with a 10 gallon tank that's wrong.
Other than that, any fish that must be taken from the wild should not be in the hobby. I hate to say that, because some of my favourite fish are such...

Sent from my LG-H831 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I disagree as there are permit restrictions for other other types of animals, specifically reptiles. There are certain species of tortoises, for instance, that cannot be kept without permits. The same could be done with aquarium species.

Back
Top Bottom