what fish enjoys strong current and the top part of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
what fish enjoys strong current and the top part of the tank?

Any come to mind off the top of your head? Do guppies?

Mooooooose

thanks i will have to refresh my memory on the different types of danios...

Any live bearers come to mind?

My sailfin mollies hang out at the top a lot. danios are a bit "ordinary" I guess, but they sure are active.

i love danios :D they are super fun and active, and have gorgeous metallic colours when they're happy. i think they are overlooked!

fish

Another plus for danios, be it 'ordinary' zebras or whatever, is you will not have to deal with the inevitable population explosion like you would with livebearers. :D

Yup I agree! Danios are underrated b/c they're no longer 'fashionable'. But, if you're worried about that (or don't like them), have a think about white cloud mountain minnows as an alternative I always like to plug. Beautiful colours when they're happy, and love fast flowing water also. While they prefer cooler water you can get away with keeping them in a tropical temperature since they're very forgiving.

I find that everyone overlooks danios in general but in particular leopard danios!
I think there better in detail and pattern than the zebra's, there's more to there colouration and patterning then the zebra's. I do like both but always tended to sway in favour of the leopards.

there are lots of great things about danios:

they enjoy current and occupy the top of the tank
they act as a great dither fish and help bring out shy fish
they are hardy and can survive the most harsh conditions (not that I can advocate that)

they are one of the most inexpensive fish
they are schooling

what more can I add.....I just love danios - I put them in ALL my tanks.

I think it depends on the tank, if it's a low, long slim one, Hillstream Loaches love fast water (as that's where they come from), so building a stream tank would be perfect for them... :)

But that's just me wishing I could have a stream tank for my three little lovely hillies... :(

Glass catfish like the upper portion of the tank and they also seem to enjoy the current since mine hang out by the filter intake/ filter waterfall.

I think webmoose would really appreciate the responses, but he hasn't visited the site since 09-25-2007. This Q was asked in Nov 2006.

Back
Top Bottom