What fish for two problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
75gal with a pest snail problem and a hair algae outburst

Going to put 4-6 angels in when my lfs puts them on sale.

Is it possible to put 3-4 clown loaches in to wipe out my pest snail problem? After they did their job, I would be returning them back to my lfs for a store credit.

Or is their another larger fish that would eat my snails?(BGK?Or brown knife?) Not really wanting assassin snails bc the price for 1 here is through the roof.

I was thinking ottos for the hair algae?

Is their a double whammy fish out there that will take care of both my problems?

The only tank mates in their now are GBRs, a school of 10 cherry barbs, and a school of corys.

Will attach photos a little later.

I don't think ottos will take down hair algae. I used to own a couple and they preferred grazing on the brown algae. I could be wrong though.

Iv always had good luck with a cheap feeder goldfish to eat my snails. Then after that I feed the feeder to my water cow lol

75gal with a pest snail problem and a hair algae outburst

Going to put 4-6 angels in when my lfs puts them on sale.

Is it possible to put 3-4 clown loaches in to wipe out my pest snail problem? After they did their job, I would be returning them back to my lfs for a store credit.

Or is their another larger fish that would eat my snails?(BGK?Or brown knife?) Not really wanting assassin snails bc the price for 1 here is through the roof.

I was thinking ottos for the hair algae?

Is their a double whammy fish out there that will take care of both my problems?

The only tank mates in their now are GBRs, a school of 10 cherry barbs, and a school of corys.

Will attach photos a little later.

Bgk and brown knife won't touch the snails. I have both. Aleast iv never heard of them eating snails. Mine don't.

My knife fish don't touch snails of any kind.

Questions:

How close to outside light is your tank? How long do you leave your tank lights?

Do you feed just enough for your fish to consume it all within about ten minutes? Have you vacuumed the gravel down to the bare bottom? (I had gravel and sometimes you just have to scoop it all out and then you can thoroughly clean the bottom)

Algae will flourish in conditions where you've got too much light and food sources (leftovers). I've had this happen a long time ago and pretty much just cleaned the tank thoroughly, removing it by scrubbing everything it was on.

You might post in this forum's classified area that you need some assassin snails. Members are very helpful here.

My bristlenose plecos demolished all the hair algae on my driftwood in a single sitting. I moved it from another tank into their tank for a clean. Hope that helps!

My bristlenose plecos demolished all the hair algae on my driftwood in a single sitting. I moved it from another tank into their tank for a clean. Hope that helps!

I have 6 ABNs in another tank(37gal growing them out. ) should I move them over?

Is the ph and everything the same on both tanks? If not then I would suggest acclimating them

Ok. Even tho you have well water a little prime wouldn't hurt. But yeah u should be fine with the switch

Back
Top Bottom