What fish have you had before, and never will again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hm, that's odd. I wonder what it could have been. The only losses I ever had with Tiger Barbs was due to a Red Tail Shark and teenage aggression.

However, one thing which may help: Tiger Barbs are the only fish I have ever seen not be able to adapt to a high pH. I noticed my pH dropping once and put in a chunk of Texas Holey rock (Limestone). The pH raised over the next week or so (very gradually) and as it did the fish were fine until the pH hit 7.8. They then started to have trouble swimming straight. All listed info I can find on TBs listed 8.0 as within their range... I disagree! This maybe wasn't the case with your tank, but from my experience TBs really react to pH more than anything else I've kept. Taking the rock out fixed them.

Has anyone seen a true tiger barb lately? I'm not talking about those gross inbred ones with the high,thick, rhomboidal body. I'm looking for the elongated version. I haven't seen them at all in the past years. I hate the bred version so much.

Has anyone seen a true tiger barb lately? I'm not talking about those gross inbred ones with the high,thick, rhomboidal body. I'm looking for the elongated version. I haven't seen them at all in the past years. I hate the bred version so much.

If you ever find Puntius rhombocellatus, I PROMISE you will like them even more. :cool:

Silver dollars. I got them second hand and they ate up all my plants and thrashed around.

Interesting. Angelfish are my favorite fish of all time and were always peaceful toward each other and my other fish. For me, it's tetras. They're almost all fin nippers and I hate that. I also might pass on getting dwarf gouramis again. They're pretty and all, but really shy and kind of frail. My heater died once and I replaced it quickly. All the other fish were fine, but my dwarf gourami lost his fins and then died a week later.

Hatchet fish and Pygmy Puffas, (not at the same time). Both are the fussiest eaters I have ever come across... Wouldn't try to have either again.

fiddler crab. not a fish lol.
they are nice critters though. im just afraid I cant set up a nice enough niche for them to survive.

The dreaded CAE. Got a Chinese Algae Eater years ago. He was fine till he got a little bigger, then he got mean. I traded him in and will never buy another. I love my Otos :)

Guppies, they're like a pack of piranhas. Every time I stick my hand or anything else in the tank they'd Run into me and I hated the feeling of them all at once it was annoying.

They're just scavengers with no real purpose. I thought they'd be pretty and I like how they always are very active, but never again, I dreaded WCs on their tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rosy barbs. I was told they were peaceful, everything online said they were peaceful. My group were the most vicious fin nippers and bullies. They moved way too quickly, pissed me off when I was trying to catch them. I had a great female to male ratio yet three of the guys would gang up on one female at a time. Just an all around headache.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't think I would get Serpaes again, even though I think they are gorgeous when their red coloration comes out more. They have been bullies to my Angel to the point that I am thinking of taking the Angel out and rehoming him, because his fins are starting to get badly nipped. They have a 46 gallon tank with plenty of plants and hiding spots, and I even got my serpaes in a school of 15 hoping it would calm them down, but instead of evening out their aggression it was more like I filled a playground full of adolescent boys! My GBR pair are doing well with them because they are large and fast enough to chase the Serpae off if they come too close, but my poor Angel is getting beat up pretty bad. Next time I will do more research before picking my main school of fish!

I had a school of serpent tetras and they were just vicious. They would nip everything in the tank even each other. Would never get more in the future.

I had a school of serpent tetras and they were just vicious. They would nip everything in the tank even each other. Would never get more in the future.

Yep, they're awful. Had 23 of them.. They killed each other one by one.

How big is the tank o_O don't angel fish get rarer large? I would say six is far too many (assuming your tank was cramped). I had an angel fish when I was younger in an over stocked 10G and it never fought. I want to get a new one soon!

I would never get a ghost catfish again. When we got ours it died within four months! It was kinda hard to find as well.

I think Cory catfish are ugly! We had one in our cichlid's tank it was so boring and murky looking. It lived forever!! I was happy when it was finally dead.
YOU HATE CORIES????!!!!! PREPARE TO DIE!

Your lives: 4X Round 1! :shotgun: Round 2!: :uzi: Round 3 (final!) :tgv:

Cories: SAVED!

How big is the tank o_O don't angel fish get rarer large? I would say six is far too many (assuming your tank was cramped). I had an angel fish when I was younger in an over stocked 10G and it never fought. I want to get a new one soon!

I would never get a ghost catfish again. When we got ours it died within four months! It was kinda hard to find as well.

I think Cory catfish are ugly! We had one in our cichlid's tank it was so boring and murky looking. It lived forever!! I was happy when it was finally dead.
Did you have just one ghost cat? If so, that's why he died. They're schooling and without a group they won't eat and just slowly waste away. They're just one of those that can't survive without others.
Groups of them do look really effective in planted tanks though.

I have a couple.

1. Goldfish, they are good starter fish IMO but are really messy eaters.

2. Pleco, I had a clown pleco he was cool at first but always hid and I rarely saw him. I like to come home and see my beauties not get lucky if I see them. Again with how messy they are, especially the larger pleco's.

3. Rainbow Shark, very cool fish and I had probably the most docile one you could ask for. I kept with tetras and the clown pleco above. Never any fin nipping or territorial issues. My problem was how picky of an eater he was. I tried many different foods while the lights were on and off and he would just hardly eat what was given. Like the pleco he also hid a lot. He eventually got stuck in a decoration and died on his own.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g tetras/dojo loach/clown pleco
~75g going to be African cichlids

Blind Cave Tetras. Thought they were general community fish. Turns out since they're blind they attack anything and everything with rage, destroying plants and fish in the process. Never. EVER. Again

A lot of these stories it sounds like impulse buys and lack of research. The Oscar story about it destroying a tank, I learned that within 30 mins of reading sources (I wanted one at the time). Also many of these were overstocked or incompatible tanks. Silver dollars get big and will eat/dig up plants.

I do my research before a new fish enters one of my tanks.

I have had 5 tiger barbs for about 2 months now in a 10g(will be rehomed) and no deaths or disease they all play and get along fine.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

A lot of these stories it sounds like impulse buys and lack of research. The Oscar story about it destroying a tank, I learned that within 30 mins of reading sources (I wanted one at the time). Also many of these were overstocked or incompatible tanks. Silver dollars get big and will eat/dig up plants.

I do my research before a new fish enters one of my tanks.

I have had 5 tiger barbs for about 2 months now in a 10g(will be rehomed) and no deaths or disease they all play and get along fine.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
+1
I think the only fish I wouldn't get again are just because they bore me, not because of issues in the tank.

+1
I think the only fish I wouldn't get again are just because they bore me, not because of issues in the tank.

Same. The ones I listed were either too messy or I just never saw them and bored me

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Back
Top Bottom