what fish should i get for 20 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nacho1cheese

Aquarium Advice Activist
i setup my 20 gal recently and im stuck on what i should put in there. i already have a 55 with an angel, gourami, corys, rummys, neon tetras, and a gbr. the selection in my 55 is the kind that im looking for my 20. i dont want any fish that are too common like guppys or platys i like the color in the fish. any help would be cool i was thinking of cherry shrimp or maybe moving one of he schoolers into the 20 since it has black sand and the 55 doesnt i think the color on both of those fish would pop out WAY more than in the tan sand. but i would need a center fish too. i like the pearl gouramis but idk how they would like the shrimp. this also leads me to the bottom feeders which i wouldnt mind changing but id be ok with a different type of cory. anyone have any suggestions?

I would do
1 Dwarf Gourami
6 Black Neons
6 Neon Tetras
6 Rummy Nose Tetras
6 Julii Cory Cats
3 Otos

I'd go with
3 Otos
6 cories
3 platy/guppy
8 neons
6 silver tipped tetras

In the 55 i have juliis and sterbais. And i actually do like the idea of the neons against the black background and those rainbow look really cool too

Denisse said:
In the 55 i have juliis and sterbais. And i actually do like the idea of the neons against the black background and those rainbow look really cool too
Ok then Peppered and Pandas would be cool. And maybe instead of Neons you could do Cardinals.

Pandas are awesome! U know any other bottom feeder that would do good?

South American Bumble Bee Catfish. They max out in size at 3 inches and look great. You could get 3 in your tank. They do better in groups.

Bumblebee_Catfish_With_Photos_01.jpg

vanimal said:
South American Bumble Bee Catfish. They max out in size at 3 inches and look great. You could get 3 in your tank. They do better in groups.

They eat fish

A 20 is too small for rainbows unless your going for something like Threadfins Threadfin Rainbow - Large. I have a black substrate and rummy's really stand out as do albino cory's. Both neons and cardinals are good for color. And so are Gold and White Skirt tetras (not common black skirt ones), I used to have longfin white skirt tetrea and they were absolutely knock-out in a dark tank. Plus you get a different body shape. I believe a pearl gourami needs a 30 gallon. There are different color variations of Honey Gourami, all of which gives your bright yellows to reds. Then if you add a few plants with all those colorful fish you have a knock out little tank.

Howd the rummys do in a small tank. I might just get one type of schoolers but the rummys are the shyest ive had idk if they'd have their red nose a lot. Ok gourami sounds good one or two?

If you could add some plants they would do much better. But plants and a dark substrate are pluses for them. And yeah, they are shy, I've got a school of 21 and they still are the first to run for cover, unless its meal time! You could do low light, low light plants, and I think they would be okay. Otherwise go with neons since they are so small. You could also have a larger school of neons too.

Im gonna go with neons! Ill probably move the 8 that i have in the 55 and increase the number of rummys in the 55. I only have 7 :/

Denisse said:
Hey, is it okay if i get a khuli loach or is that too much?

Wht is the final of wht ur putting in the tank kuhli loaches do better in groups

I would suggest either doing a school or cory's or a school of loaches. Since you already have cory's in your 55 why don't you go with the Kuhli's in the 20. Something alittle different.

Yeah thats what i was thinking! either corys our striped kuhli loaches

Back
Top Bottom