What Fish Should I Get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abbeylikesballs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am getting a 20 gallon and this is my second tank my first was a Betta that lived for 5 1/2 years. What Fish should I get what supplies do I need

You'll need a filter that's for up to a 40 gallon tank, I really like Quiet Flow myself. You'll need a heater, which should be just enough for your tank, because having one too large can be a problem. You'll need a temperature gauge, I HIGHLY suggest getting an electronic one, they're really accurate and give a solid number reading. You'll need cleaning stuff also. You know how to do water changes, right?

As for fish, good ones for 20 gallons are generally guppies. Fancy guppies are really neat to watch.. but if you want me something more exotic, I can give some recommendations. Little schooling fish are really neat to watch.

First, is this a twenty gallon high tank or twenty gallon long? Here are some things you'll need:
-light
-heater (aqueon pro heaters are one of the most popular because they are reliable and accurate. The 150w one will be enough. )
-thermometer (I suggest a digital one)
-test kit (ask freshwater master kit)
-filter media (filter floss or sponges
-food
-water conditioner (seachem prime, for example)

Chiroptera said:
You'll need a filter that's for up to a 40 gallon tank, I really like Quiet Flow myself.
Not necessarily - it depends on how they stock the tank and what bioload it has. If they stock it lightly enough they could use a 20 gallon filter. The most popular kind is Aquaclear, which is my favorite. Unlike most hang on back filters, they offer a lot of room for whatever filter media you want. They also have adjustable flow rate, but that is not uncommon.

maxwellag said:
Not necessarily - it depends on how they stock the tank and what bioload it has. If they stock it lightly enough they could use a 20 gallon filter. The most popular kind is Aquaclear, which is my favorite. Unlike most hang on back filters, they offer a lot of room for whatever filter media you want. They also have adjustable flow rate, but that is not uncommon.

+1 on an aquaclear. I've had horrible luck with quiet flows

Really? I love it for my 10 gallon. Never had any issues, filter does great. To each his/her own, I suppose. I do a lot of in-tank cleaning, like scrubbing and gravel shifting, so maybe I've just never seen ill effects. I guess it just depends on price.

Well I am thinking about getting a 20 gallon. My budget for this is around $150 saved up. But first before I get a tank I want to know about how much the fish an supplies cost. Heres what i know so far. I know how to do water changes and cleaning tanks is just rinsing I with using very mild or even better no soap. When you first introduce the water and gravel and plants you need let it sit for at least a week before introducing fish. Some fish like the Oscar (which by the way are cool looking but get HUGE) can swim alone but others like mollie have to live in schools (not all but some I have seen that need to be in schools). I'd like to get a tropical salt water tank if possible because I love the colors and they are pretty to look at.

Well I am thinking about getting a 20 gallon. My budget for this is around $150 saved up. But first before I get a tank I want to know about how much the fish an supplies cost. Heres what i know so far. I know how to do water changes and cleaning tanks is just rinsing I with using very mild or even better no soap. When you first introduce the water and gravel and plants you need let it sit for at least a week before introducing fish. Some fish like the Oscar (which by the way are cool looking but get HUGE) can swim alone but others like mollie have to live in schools (not all but some I have seen that need to be in schools). I'd like to get a tropical salt water tank if possible because I love the colors and they are pretty to look at.
I would get a 20 gallon long because they have a larger footprint, which means you can have more fish. The tank by itself costs $20-35 depending on the store. You can get it for $20 at a petco dollar per gallon sale which should be very soon. Do you need a stand? Metal ones are around $50 and wood ones are around $100. An aquaclear 30 is $32 at Petsmart. The heaters I mentioned are cheaper online, but most heaters are usually $15-30. Are you going to want to grow live plants?

maxwellag said:
Are you going to want to grow live plants?

Yes maybe coral because I want a salt tank but i would understand if I'm not experienced enough. I've only ever had one fish at a time. Oh and by the way any fish care tips But of that sale is going on I might get a 40 gallon. I Sad 20 because all the 40 gal are like 100 dollars but I might get a 40 gal at that sale

Welcome.

You can find out the cost of fish and supplies by looking online if you plan to order them, or taking a trip to a local shop to check it out.

Don't use soap on or in your tank. Ever. It sounds like you are talking about removing the fish and tearing it down every so often- you shouldn't. Partial water changes with the fish in the tank are fine.

Mollies aren't schooling fish.

Here are some articles that should help. Freshwater - Aquarium Advice

Yes maybe coral because I want a salt tank but i would understand if I'm not experienced enough. I've only ever had one fish at a time. Oh and by the way any fish care tips

Saltwater tanks are expensive. I don't think $150 will be enough for a 20g one. I would stick to freshwater and live plants- its usually easier and cheaper.
My tips:
-Cycle the tank first-here are some good articles:
The almost complete guide to fishless cycling
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?
-Change 25-50% of the tank water each week
-When adding new fish, quarantine them for at least a few weeks. A month is better. By doing this, you make sure that new additions are happy, healthy and illness free.

Abbeylikesballs said:
Yes maybe coral because I want a salt tank but i would understand if I'm not experienced enough. I've only ever had one fish at a time. Oh and by the way any fish care tips But of that sale is going on I might get a 40 gallon. I Sad 20 because all the 40 gal are like 100 dollars but I might get a 40 gal at that sale

Get the largest tank your budget allows. Larger tanks are easier to care for in the long run.theres kessl room for error in a 20 rsther than a 40

You PMed me but I couldn't reply so here is what I said in the message-
Abbeylikesballs said:
I decided to get a 40 gallon tank. What fish should I get if I have $110 left? What supplies any tips?

First you need to cycle the tank
I assume you have or will do so
I then reccomend-
1-Aqueon 55/75 filter
Remove the carbon in it and replace it with a sponge, filter floss, and a water polishing pad
1- appropriately sized Aqueon heater
50 lbs- pool filter sand
Fish-
5 male guppies or male endlers livebearers
2 male mollies(any variety besides black sailfin and sailfin) or male platies (any variety)
10 peppered cories or sterbai cories
1 bristlenose pleco or pitbull pleco
6 neon tetras or silvertip tetras
1 Bolivian ram or angelfish(angel may eat the neons so buy the angel small if you choose it and provide lots of small nooks and crannies for the neons if you decide on them or endlers)
Please go to liveaquaria.com and write down a list of fish you like and I will incorporate them into the stocklist once you send me the list of the fish you would like. Please get back with the list as soon as possible
Thanks and enjoy!

Abbeylikesballs said:
like mollie have to live in schools

First of all mollies aren't schooling fish.
Second I would do for a stock list:

6 Pygmy Cories
6 Guppies preferably all males but if you want to breed them 2M 4F
2 Honey or Sparkling gourami
A few shrimp maybe??

Hope I helped a bit ! :)

Back
Top Bottom