What fish should i get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abbeylikesballs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I Am getting a 40 gallon tank. I live in las Vegas Nevada so it's pretty hot And I'm 12 years old. My first fish was a beta that I found time to obsess over and he lived for 6 years. My budget is 110 if you take out $40 for the tank (petco dollar per gallon sale). What fish should I get? What supplies do I need? Any fish care tips?

Congratulations!! That is a great tank size :-D. Are you going with the 48" length, or the tall 40 gallon?

Do you have some place to rest your tank? If you need to buy a tank stand, you may find one on Craigslist.

The first thing to know about is "cycling" - how your new ecosystem works!

Here is a link:

URL="http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/?/131/1/Guide-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html"]http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/?/131/1/Guide-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html[/URL]

Please check that out and we can go from there, ok?

Supplies you will need:
Filter
Dechlorinator
Thermometer
Hose for water changes

Optional supplies:
Lid
Light (you may have enough from your windows and ceiling/lamp light).
Heater
Paint or Wallpaper for the OUTside of your tank's backside.
Sand, gravel, etc. (Pool Filter Sand is cheap and nice - sold at pool supply stores).

Testing your water:
Your aquatic store should test a sample of your water for free, anytime.
Testing your water is key for keeping it healthy.
The API Master Test Kit is the way to go if you get testing supplies.

Since you like koi ponds, oscars, and colorful active fish...

Freshwater community bottom fish:

Kuhli loaches are 5" snake like fish. They "plow" sand and do best in groups of 5+. They are super peaceful!

Cory Catfish can live with Kuhlis. Very similar - playful, bottom level, super peaceful. They look TOTALLY different than Kuhlis.

Goldfish:

Fancy goldfish are fun too. I have some. You could have 3 in a 40. They have amazing interaction with me.

They need amazing filters though. Maybe on Craigslist?

Freshwater community:

Tetras! Tetras are schooling fish and amazing in terms of color and activity.

Where can I buy these for cheap but quality because I almost spent 150 dollars on a tank I could have spent 40 on so I'll need some help their. I never truly got interested in fish till one of my moms friends gave me my first tank and my mom got me a crowntail. And the tank came with a filter and my Betta didn't need anything else because we lived in georgia at the time so his tank was a perfect temp. This is my first time buying it myself so I am gonna need to know where I can get quality items for as little as possible.

Abbeylikesballs said:
Where can I buy these for cheap but quality because I almost spent 150 dollars on a tank I could have spent 40 on so I'll need some help their. I never truly got interested in fish till one of my moms friends gave me my first tank and my mom got me a crowntail. And the tank came with a filter and my Betta didn't need anything else because we lived in georgia at the time so his tank was a perfect temp. This is my first time buying it myself so I am gonna need to know where I can get quality items for as little as possible.

It never hurts to post an ad on here - in classifieds - label it with WTB (want to buy).

I watch clearance items and Craigslist.

Edit: if you ask us about a for sale item you see, we can tell you how good it is!

I've tried to post a thread in the classifieds but it won't let me. I don't know why it just wont give me that option

You PMed me and I couldn't reply back so here is what I said, this is also posted in your other thread
Abbeylikesballs said:
I decided to get a 40 gallon tank. What fish should I get if I have $110 left? What supplies any tips?

First you need to cycle the tank
I assume you have or will do so
I then reccomend-
1-Aqueon 55/75 filter
Remove the carbon in it and replace it with a sponge, filter floss, and a water polishing pad
1- appropriately sized Aqueon heater
50 lbs- pool filter sand
Fish-
5 male guppies or male endlers livebearers
2 male mollies(any variety besides black sailfin and sailfin) or male platies (any variety)
10 peppered cories or sterbai cories
1 bristlenose pleco or pitbull pleco
6 neon tetras or silvertip tetras
1 Bolivian ram or angelfish(angel may eat the neons so buy the angel small if you choose it and provide lots of small nooks and crannies for the neons if you decide on them or endlers)
Please go to liveaquaria.com and write down a list of fish you like and I will incorporate them into the stocklist once you send me the list of the fish you would like. Please get back with the list as soon as possible
Thanks and enjoy!

A quality place to get things is a place that just sells fish stuff or a Local Fish Store (LFS) but if you don't have any of those around you, you should go to Petco and not Petsmart for quality. Where I live, Petsmart is cheap and trashy.
A good filter should be number 1 on your list.
Keep asking questions we're here to help!

Also see if there are any Aquarium Societies in your area. Google may help. Or ask at your LFSs also.

Clubs are a great resource and I've bought supplies and fish super cheap :) as well as gotten things free.

Back
Top Bottom