What fish should i get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon planted tank that used to have a baby Oscar in it. I know oscars might uproot the plants but I didn't have another tank for him. Not to mention that my planted tank is failing horribly :p anyway I'm looking for a big fish that can live in a planted tank and is still small enough for a 55 gallon. And can live alone... I want something big to feed my betta culls to. ;)

Yeah I have three angels now... One in my 130 and two in a 45 gallon. I'd love to get another kind of cichlid again (but angels are also cichlids I think, right?) I'd love a red Oscar or a couple of smaller cichlids, like smaller than oscars but not really small. As long as theyll be nice to the plants as long as they last ;P

Yeah I have three angels now... One in my 130 and two in a 45 gallon. I'd love to get another kind of cichlid again (but angels are also cichlids I think, right?) I'd love a red Oscar or a couple of smaller cichlids, like smaller than oscars but not really small

You could do a single or a pair of geophagus tapajos. (Red head tapajos) maybe even a trio with good filtration

Angel fish are not chichlid. At the pet store we have a bunch of baby Oscar by 2-3 inches. There's lemon , red , tiger and abilno Oscar.

Angel fish are not chichlid. At the pet store we have a bunch of baby Oscar by 2-3 inches. There's lemon , red , tiger and abilno Oscar.

Actually yes, angelfish are cichlids. Do some research before getting on here and attempting to help someone when you dont even know what you are talking about.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/202

Angelfish are a CICHLID from south america.

Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes) > Perciformes (Perch-likes) > Cichlidae (Cichlids) > Cichlasomatinae
Etymology: Pterophyllum: Greek, pteron, = fin, sail + Greek, phyllon = leaf; apparently in reference to the tall wide and triangular dorsal fin (Ref. 45335).

How bout a single Oscar again? I really like red oscars but would they make a mess of the plants?

Hm. Ok I'll look into that. I might just give up on the plants. Maybe I can put them in another tank.

Thanks :) do you guys know of any other big fish (like Oscar sized) that won't tear up my plants? Lol

Oh god goldfish loach boy, raphael catfish again? Lol I'm just kiddin, a raphael catfish will be fine in a 55 gallon. I have always loved the Raphael's and I don't plan on stopping. One thing with them make sure you subdo the lighting other wise they will hide all day and you'll never see them. Also you need sand or a fine gravel substrate because they like to burrow.

Yea keep it low on the lights, as soon as lowered mine I saw it more often
I love them! Lol
Hey if you want something different, try a spotted Raphael!

Also puffers are belligerent and they can pester other tank mates. Also they like small amounts of salt. I don't recommend puffers to ya.

Actually a South American puffer would do great in a 55 gal freshwater community. Not a very common fish although I do see them from time to time.

Aside from that one of my favorite planted tank oddballs is the leopard ctenopoma.

Back
Top Bottom