What fish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanatic16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75g tank and I only have 3 rams a violet goby aka Dragonfish and some zebra danio. I got another tank recently and am planning to put my zebra d's in the new tank to help cycle. I'm wanting to get some more cichlids... Ones that won't try and pick a fight. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Violet goby is a brackish water fish, won't live very long in FW. Ram's like warmer temps than most other species, though discus would work.

Discus would work. You could get some bumblebee gobies if you are into gobies.

Violet goby is a brackish water fish, won't live very long in FW. Ram's like warmer temps than most other species, though discus would work.

Actaully they will a buddy of mine owns a fish store and has kept his in freshwater for many years now, it close to 2 ft long now

Yeah, the zebra Danios ideally like it a little on the cooler side of average, and the rams on the hotter side, so you are best keeping them in different tanks for the long term. As others have suggested Discus go well with Rams but it depends on your budget! Whilst they are not quite as hard to keep as some believe, they are still a bit tricky and you need to be careful what else goes in with them.
If your rams are surviving well, I'd get a few more, and some appropriate tetras, cardinals, Bentosi, black phantom, lemon, the list goes on. Maybe some hatchets for the top and corys for the bottom, but bear in mind the slightly higher temps needed. Sterbai cory might be a good bet. Not sure about the gobies, I'd be tempted to trade them if it was me.

Other cichlid ideas could be Angelfish, Keyholes and Cockatoo cichlids, all should work well in that size a tank with existing Rams.

Back
Top Bottom