What happend to hus eye?!? help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just saw my mudskipper and I thought he had a blood worm stuck to his eye, but his eye is gone and all bloody! Do you guys know what happened?!

Need help!

What are the other fish in the tank with it? It could have gotten into a fight with other fish, I've seen it happen before.

Its possible that he will die... thats a pretty dramatic injury.

The best you can really do is keep the water pristine. Im not sure how mud skippers react to salt, otherwise Id suggest added a bit of that to the tank. Other than that, Im not sure.

I know this is a dumb question, but which kind of salt? The kind for saltwater or freshwater salt.

Freshwater "Aquarium Salt". Most petstores sell it in the freshwater area.

Keep the fish away from the puffer... That's probably what caused it.

i have a black moor with one eye and hes fine lost it bout 9 months ago

Canterthefishman said:
Do you think the mudskipper will die "maxwellag"?

I couldn't say... It depends on how bad the injury is. A picture would help.

Most likely the puffer attacked him. If you separate them both and give your mudskipper some time to recover, it might live, minus the eye. Salt won't help, it should already be in brackish water. You could try some Melafix to ward off infections, along with good clean water.

--Adeeb

He is now ok. Please tell me which option is more likely. But when I looked at him from a closer view, 1. it just looks like his eye got a cut that made him bleed and his eye is just all bloody. 2. Or his eye ball came out because he can still blink.

Thanks!

i'll say cut, when my black moors went, he had pop eye and it poped; eye and socket but all good now

How is he going? I agree that pristine water conditions will go a long way when healing him. I know nothing of mudskippers but when a tropical fish or goldfish has an eye injury antibiotics are usually recommended incase of infection. Might be worth looking into (I don't know how he would react to meds). There may be a forum that specializes in brackish fish that you can get some answered from. If he manages to heal he will be fine with just the one eye. You will just have to make sure he can find his food.

Back
Top Bottom