What hydrometer would you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which hydrometer is the best?

• Deep Six Hydrometer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SeaTest Hydrometer

• High Precision Hydrometer

• Other

• Total voters

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not up to buying a refractometer right now so which hydrometer would you recommend?

Deep Six Hydrometer
p_922871.jpg

SeaTest Hydrometer
p_116658.jpg

High Precision Hydrometer
p_10989.jpg

I'd like to do one big order from Drs Foster & Smith and these seem to be all they have. But if you have another one you'd suggest tell me about it please :) Thanks!

Holly,

If you are $ constrained, as most of us are, and you are keeping FO the Deep Six is a fine unit - very reliable at giving a reasonably accurate reading. Naturally though the refractometers are going to give you the best results.

I have successfully used the deep 6 for years on a few of my past FO tanks.

ack! that's what i get for voting before reading the post! I voted other as I was going to suggest a refractometer... 8O but now that I see thats not an option, I would tend to agree with Brain, a FO you should be alright with the Deep six, if you've got inverts, I'd go with the High precision.

ack! that's what i get for voting before reading the post! I voted other as I was going to suggest a refractometer...
LOL Same here.. I Voted other for the Exact same reason.. You can check on ebay for the Refractometer from premiumaquatics.. They usually list them on there for 39.00 plus s/h.. I think i paid 42.00 shipped for mine.. If I had to choose between the 3 I would go with the deep six... It was only off by .002-.003 It was reading a bit low.. Read 1.024 and was really 1.026-1.027.. I would say get the deep six and set it at 1.023-1.024 and you should be just perfect.. But I would still opt for the Refractometer..

James

I would recommend either of the swing arms, and if possible have it checked by someone with a refractometer. Then you can know it's accurate, and if not, you can know how far it's off and adjust accordingly. I bought a refractmeter with that in mind, pull it out every now and again and verify the swing arm, but to be honest, it's just as easy to use the refractometer so I ditched the swing arm all together.

I had used 2 different sized SeaTest and a Deep Six and they all gave me different readings. Now I just use a refractometer.
Sad part is that what it cost me to buy the three hydrometers, I could have bought the refractometer. ( Also a AM PinPoint salinity monitor is great, no hassles & always shows a monitored reading)

well i had a swing arm and just got my refractometer last night. tested my water with the swing arm and it was only .001 off. i had one from Marine Enterprises. but i love my refractometer so much. i got it for only $50 + S&H but i had an order of $150 at the time so the sipping on just that was not that bad.

now i want the salt at 30 ppm right? this is for a reef tank.

I know Refractometer is not an option here, but please reconsider it. For the extra $30, go with the refractometer than you would not regret.

I think you've all got me convinced to wait now. Currently I have 4 FW tanks. I hope to set up a SW tank this year, but I was also eyeing some BW puffers so I thought I could get away with a hydrometer for brackish.. I think you're all right to spend extra $ on a refractometer though. In the long run it will pay for itself. Are there any particular brands I should be on the lookout for? Also, any websites with good deals you'd recommend in addition to Ebay searches? All of you, thank you very much :D

i'm sure any brand should be ok... be sure you can calibrate and it's self temperature adjusting...

Back
Top Bottom