What in the heck happened to my tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking at my new aquisitions today when I noticed only 5 lamp eye tetras in my tank instead of 6....I didn't see him anywhere so I thought possibly he could have gotten caught in the filter. I took it apart....no tetra. I started looking really hard in the tank and saw this weird clump under the driftwood and the below pics is what I found. It almost looks like he got caught in the filter because he is so "chewed up". Tetras don't kill each other like that, do they? They are supposed to be peaceful fish. Anyway...tested my parameters and they are 0-.25 on ammonia and 0-.25 on nitrites. But, they were .25 on the nitrites before he died. The nitirites have been running that way since before I put the fish in to do my silent cycle, probably because of some dying plant matter I had in there that I have since removed.
Anyway, can you tell by the pictures if you think he was a casualty of the filter. Note - his missing tail...only bone and his otherwise mangled look.

Most likely it's been dead for a little while and provided a snack for it's tankmates. Many fish will happily help clean up the remains of one of their tankmates that doesn't make it.

But they were all fine this morning and this afternoon was when I noticed him at the bottom. I still think with the way his body was shaped (kinda bent up looking) that the filter might have gotten him first, then I guess he could have possibly gotten nibbled on....idk...

Mystery solved....they were getting sucked up the filter intake tube. I found another one in there this morning...but alive and well. I capped off the end of the tube witha pieice of stocking and rubber band.

Back
Top Bottom