what is a good phosphate removal media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have used Kents Phosphate sponge, but with limited results.
With the introduction of more rock, a better skimmer, a deep sand bed and the removal of the bioballs from my wet/dry I am hoping to reduce the nutrients enough to rid my tank of cyno once and for all.
BTW I do use RO water and do a weekly 5-10% water change.

Either Rowaphos or Phosban.. Noth are just about the same except Rowa is a bit more Expensive... I have always found Phosban to work just fine for my tastes.. Just make sure you use small amounts at a time and continue to use it.. Use too much and you can bleach your corals due to the increase of clarity in the water..

BTW I know MarineDepot.com carries both But Darin over at captive can probably get them as well.. And prob a bit cheaper because of our discount..

James

Rowaphos and Phosban are not really the same (although both are better than aluminum or ceramic media). I'm firmly of the belief that Rowaphos is superior. Read this Adobe Acrobat document http://www.rowausa.com/pdf/Rowaphos_Berlin_Test_Report.pdf

Sometimes we expect too much out of these products. Phosphate removers can only remove Dissolved Inorganic Phosphates. The only way to remove Particulate Inorganic Phosphates is via skimming. We cannot touch the Dissolved Organic Phosphates nor the Particulate Organic Phosphates.

It is necessary to remove as many Phosphate inputs as possible. I.e. use only RO/DI water, don't use prepared foods, soak the ingredients used to make blender mush in RO/DI water to remove as many Phosphates as possible, don't use additives, etc.

I've had great success putting Seachem's Phosban in the media basket on my protein skimmer. I had a problem with phosphate when I first set up my tank. Originally Kwik-Kit tests read somewhere around 1.6 - 5. Since putting a half cup of Phosban in my media basket my tests read below 0.05

Back
Top Bottom