What is "good" Fish Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
baby brine shrimp are tiny so they are really only good for nano fish and fry. Larger fish won't even try to eat them, but stuff like guppy sized will. As far as nutrition goes though, just use BBS as a treat for anything other than fry.

jetajockey said:
baby brine shrimp are tiny so they are really only good for nano fish and fry. Larger fish won't even try to eat them, but stuff like guppy sized will. As far as nutrition goes though, just use BBS as a treat for anything other than fry.

Thats what the grow out tank is for.. ill be raising the brine to adult size as well.. hope to get them breeding and keep the population going over time

Yeah I've seen a few videos. That one included.. I've done it before. I mean what kid hasn't had seamonkeys? Matter of fact, those things lived forever. This is just a larger bulk supply of seamonkeys.

Bought some hikari wafers and some nls today to go with beef heart and the usual brine shrimp, blood worms and daphnia.. they say variety is the spice of life. Fish didn't seem too keen on the nls for the first day.. should I be soaking it first?

Yeah changing fish food can throw them off a bit... you can soak in some garlic, or feed the old food, with a tad of NLS...and slowly start feeding more and more NLS with the old food, till they get used to it

Bought some hikari wafers and some nls today to go with beef heart and the usual brine shrimp, blood worms and daphnia.. they say variety is the spice of life. Fish didn't seem too keen on the nls for the first day.. should I be soaking it first?

What type of fish are you feeding? And how old are they?
NLS already has garlic as an ingredient

I feed exclusively NLS Thera +A. I buy in bulk on E-BAY. Its alot cheaper than the LFS. I get a big bucket for about $60 and it lasts about 6 months.

WendiDell said:
What type of fish are you feeding? And how old are they?
NLS already has garlic as an ingredient

Asof right now I have tiger, blue, panda, sunburst, bumblebee, gold twin barb platies.. a few Molly species.. bettas, black and gold skirt tetras and peppered Cory's. Not to mention the bn and candy stripe plecos and African dwarf frogs. Not all in 1 tank mind you.. I'm still slowly stocking my tanks.

NLS is by far the best IME. Are there other foods out there a lot better than Wardley and Tetra? Yes. Does that mean there is no difference between them and NLS? Not IME.

The problem is that so many foods are good enough to give great short term and even medium term results. Hikari, Omega One, Xtreme can all give great colors, growth, etc., but it doesn't mean they are equal. What we are looking for now is the best long term food for our fish, and this is what is extremely hard to determine and why there is so much debate about exactly which food is best. People tend to find something that works well for their fish (good colors, growth, health, and even breeding) and then stick with it, regardless of what else comes out. I don't think any of us go out and switch our fish to the newest food on the market to see how they do, as we shouldn't. But there are some issues we can go by to help us choose the best long term food.

Xtreme is not made by NLS. The only flour products in NLS are the minimal to allow it to stay together (so you have a pellet and not poweder by the time you get it).

Similar sounding ingredients are not equal. For example 'fish meal' can mean many different things. In one company it is the scraps left over after the fish is processed for human consumption, so it can literally be the bones and internal organs off the floor in the factory. In another company's food it is the whole animal. I personally will not use foods with artificial colors (sory Omega One, Ocean Nutrition, and most other foods out there).

With most companies if you compare their different formulas (herbivore, carnivore, spirulina, etc.) there is almost no difference in the nutritional percentages or the ingredients lists (or minimal like spirulina being a little higher in the list) yet the food is a completely different color. This is just the artificial colors because they know you want spirulina and herbivore foods to be green and carnivore foods to be red/orange/brown.

Higher fat content can lead to fatty deposits throughout the body that can cause a no symptom premature death. Fat levels over 10% are almost guaranteed to cause this. IMO effectively none of our fish die of old age, it is always long term nutritional problems and/or water quality.

I do not like 'natural' diets. For one they are not natural just because it is a whole animal food. Second is it requires the aquarist to be an amateur animal nutritionist, which always ends up being guesswork. Third is that most of the foods used to make a 'natural' food (frozen and fresh foods) are mostly just protein sources, equivalent to the first few ingredients in a high quality pellet. This will inevitably lead to incomplete and unbalanced nutrition, not ideal for long term health. Let the companies who know what they are doing provide a complete and balanced diet.

IME NLS has shown to be the best option in almost every situation. In addition, people who have actually tried it (exclusively for months, not for a couple weeks or mixed in with other foods) find it to also be surprisingly better than what they used to feed. All I can say is that you should try it. Get it locally if you can, or get it online if you need to, but try it. Truly try it exclusively for a few months and see if you can't tell the difference. I recommend the Thera+A formula because it has enough extra garlic to kill some parasites, and can help prevent health problems in general.

NLS is by far the best IME. Are there other foods out there a lot better than Wardley and Tetra? Yes. Does that mean there is no difference between them and NLS? Not IME.

The problem is that so many foods are good enough to give great short term and even medium term results. Hikari, Omega One, Xtreme can all give great colors, growth, etc., but it doesn't mean they are equal. What we are looking for now is the best long term food for our fish, and this is what is extremely hard to determine and why there is so much debate about exactly which food is best. People tend to find something that works well for their fish (good colors, growth, health, and even breeding) and then stick with it, regardless of what else comes out. I don't think any of us go out and switch our fish to the newest food on the market to see how they do, as we shouldn't. But there are some issues we can go by to help us choose the best long term food.

Xtreme is not made by NLS. The only flour products in NLS are the minimal to allow it to stay together (so you have a pellet and not powered by the time you get it).

Similar sounding ingredients are not equal. For example 'fish meal' can mean many different things. In one company it is the scraps left over after the fish is processed for human consumption, so it can literally be the bones and internal organs off the floor in the factory. In another company's food it is the whole animal. I personally will not use foods with artificial colors (sorry Omega One, Ocean Nutrition, and most other foods out there).

With most companies if you compare their different formulas (herbivore, carnivore, spirulina, etc.) there is almost no difference in the nutritional percentages or the ingredients lists (or minimal like spirulina being a little higher in the list) yet the food is a completely different color. This is just the artificial colors because they know you want spirulina and herbivore foods to be green and carnivore foods to be red/orange/brown.

Higher fat content can lead to fatty deposits throughout the body that can cause a no symptom premature death. Fat levels over 10% are almost guaranteed to cause this. IMO effectively none of our fish die of old age, it is always long term nutritional problems and/or water quality.

I do not like 'natural' diets. For one they are not natural just because it is a whole animal food. Second is it requires the aquarist to be an amateur animal nutritionist, which always ends up being guesswork. Third is that most of the foods used to make a 'natural' food (frozen and fresh foods) are mostly just protein sources, equivalent to the first few ingredients in a high quality pellet. This will inevitably lead to incomplete and unbalanced nutrition, not ideal for long term health. Let the companies who know what they are doing provide a complete and balanced diet.

IME NLS has shown to be the best option in almost every situation. In addition, people who have actually tried it (exclusively for months, not for a couple weeks or mixed in with other foods) find it to also be surprisingly better than what they used to feed. All I can say is that you should try it. Get it locally if you can, or get it online if you need to, but try it. Truly try it exclusively for a few months and see if you can't tell the difference. I recommend the Thera+A formula because it has enough extra garlic to kill some parasites, and can help prevent health problems in general.

+1, I couldn't agree more.
I've been keeping fish for 7 years. In those 7 years things were a bit rocky. I would loose a fish every now and then for no obvious reason :confused:.

Since switching to NLS about 6 month sago, the only casualties have been caused by other fish. I've even had a couple of cases of Popeye, that both fish survive and are doing great. The NLS food has given them such strong immune systems.

And for the first time I have a group of very healthy Mbuna Fry :dance:. They are 17 days old and growing bigger and stronger every day.
They are being fed NLS fry powder, which they eat like mini Piranha, and have grown to about 3x their birth size. They also have brilliant colors already. They are awesome to watch :popcorn:. Every day they are doing something new.

I won't ever feed my fish anything but NLS. I have Mbunas at all stages from fry to adult. I also have Angelfish, that started as pea size and now are the size of a .50 cent piece. And 3 3-4 inch Angels.
1 adult BN Pleco, 2 tiny (new) Green Dragon BN Plecos, and last but far from least, I have a 13" Common Pleco, we are having to re-home soon due to his size. They all get NLS in one form or another and they are all thriving.

All these threads ever turn into is two hillbillies at a monster truck rally arguing about what's better Chevy or Ford. So read through and decide for yourself and your fish which one is right for you...and it's Chevy by the way!

I just posted a related thread... I look at fish food like I look at food for my Golden Retriever: I look at the ingredient list. Where dies the protein originate, what "veggie" matter is included, and where is the food from.

For most fish, the protein should be from "real" things... Specific types of fish, shrimp, etc. Veggies should primarily be from aquatic sources (kelp and such). I look for a minimum of fillers like wheat protein and other materials with dubious or useless purpose.

If I can find any info that any ingredients are from China- I avoid it like the plague.

How long before the fish adjust to it and actually eat it.. its almost like its too hard even after soak. The fish take it in their mouths and spit it out and disregard it. Worried if they don't eat it and could up my tanks.

It may take a few days or more, depending on the fish. It is probably not that it is too hard, but that it tastes so different. There is a lot of garlic in it and that can throw them off.

How long before the fish adjust to it and actually eat it.. its almost like its too hard even after soak. The fish take it in their mouths and spit it out and disregard it. Worried if they don't eat it and could up my tanks.

Fish (other than fry) can go without food for several days.
If your worried about the mess of uneaten food, don't feed your fish for a day or two. Then only feed the NLS pellets. When truly hungry they will eat whatever you give them.
The pellets just feel unnatural to them. It's not the taste, it's the new texture that they are having an issue with.
If you don't feel comfortable with not feeding them, you can always use a turkey baster to remove the uneaten food. It will cut down on the need for PWC due to left over food.

Back
Top Bottom