What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kalin0121

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help! First off something is growing on my live rock. It's a reddish brown color and fuzzy. Red slime algae? Some sort of sponge? Second I recently got an electric blue hermit which changed shells as soon as I put him in his new home. On his shell is a small sort of clam shell. When I feed my fish a ugly black wormy thing comes out. Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• image-2898448310.jpg
    image-2898448310.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 193
  • image-1893251997.jpg
    image-1893251997.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 198
Black worm like thing? Probably some kind of polychete worm. Pictures would help. Also that anemone looks like it's in a dark spot...How much light do you have?

Crepe said:
Black worm like thing? Probably some kind of polychete worm. Pictures would help. Also that anemone looks like it's in a dark spot...How much light do you have?

the "black wormy thing" is a barnacle. barnacles have shells and a black wormlike inside ( like a snail ), but they feed through filtration like sponges. that is what is attached to the hermit crabs shell. it's pretty clearly visible on the picture.

the "black wormy thing" is a barnacle. barnacles have shells and a black wormlike inside ( like a snail ), but they feed through filtration like sponges. that is what is attached to the hermit crabs shell. it's pretty clearly visible on the picture.

I read the opening post as. "There's a black worm in my tank that eats my fish's food" Not "There's a black worm coming out of the barnacle."

Thanks! I have T5 HO lighting. I hope the anemone is getting enough light. Took the pic on my phone so that's probably why it looks so dark. Here are 2 more pics. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-196321144.jpg
    image-196321144.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 152
  • image-2783281757.jpg
    image-2783281757.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 161
I think the puple stuff looks like coraline algae. I also agree that the worm thing looks like a barnicle.

The dark purplish stuff is fuzzy? Anyone know what it is?

Back
Top Bottom