What is ligth requirement in watt/inch^2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scuba_dude

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Here is the deal. After 30 years of running aquarium with plastic plants, I switched to real plant.. I actually changed to real plant because my plastic plants were getting yellow due to exposure to daylight. I don't have direct sunlight on the tank but this tank is located in a room with SSW exposure and lots a windows and ligth. (Common pleco never goes hungry but algea is under control)

My problem reside with the fact that all the WPG calculation seemed to be based on rectangular aquarium. I would like to determine how my current set-up compare. I am considered low, low-moderate or whatever

It is a diamond shaped 55 gal unit.

Current ligth is restricted due to budget and real-estate under the cover to

2-15 watts 18" fluoarescent (aqua-glo)
2-20 watte 24" fluoarescent (coralife trichromatic)

I have planted the following:
3-Ceratopteris thalictroides
3-java fern
1-hygrophila polysperma
1-Bacopa monnieri
1-unknown
1-anubius barteri

So far the plants are growing.

No CO2 system. I am using Flourish seachem.

I will ask a a twin 55 watts conversion pack for my birthday in May. In the meantine, I am heading for desaster.

75watts... what is the height of the tank? biggest factor is the distance from the bulbs to the substrate.

Heigth is about 23" between lightbuld and gravel

Heigth is about 23" between lightbuld and gravel.

See attached picture

Where did you find Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) ?
I used to grow it continously in the 80's. Great plant!! But where I live now
(TX) can't find it anywhere :evil:

I am glad to here that I chose a great plant in my ignorance on this aspect of the hobby. Well, this forum and the nice people are helping me improving my knowledge.

Unfortunately for the source of the plant,, it is a bit a stretch for you since I bought it at the local Big Als store here in Montreal Canada. Maybe they would have it on-line.

On the other hand, iI measured my tank today and made some calculations.

They sold me this tank as a 55 US gal tank. It is actually 39.5 gal. Good news is that I now have an almost respectable 1.77

Just a quick details.

When I wrote "they sold me a 55 gal tank". I was not referring to the Big Als in Montreal.

Actually these guys offer quite good service. The tank was bought in an other town.

Sorry this post but I don't want to require a defense fund as well.

kimo said:
Where did you find Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) ?
I used to grow it continously in the 80's. Great plant!! But where I live now
(TX) can't find it anywhere :evil:

Why not order it online if you are really wanting it?

Back
Top Bottom