What Is needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebennett

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi so I have a 55 gallon and I am wondering what I would need to get a planted tank I am serious but don't want to spend a bout load of cash as I am low I have heard plants need co2 is this true also lighting as leds ok?

You could do a dirt tank, use organic potting or garden soil capped with gravel or fluorite. I purchased a 2 bulb t8 shop 48 inch light from Home Depot and got the 65k bulbs there also. You don't need to spend a lot of money. Check out Youtube for Dustin's Fish Tanks, He does all dirt tanks and has over 800 videos. I have learned a lot from him.

Sorted tanks are nice but I wouldn't recommend a beginner start with one. A perfectly healthy tank can be done with just plain sand.

My first suggestion is to decide on what type of plants you like. From there you can add the proper lighting, ferts, and carbon source. It cost me approx $150 total to make my 55g a medium light tank with ferts and glut.

Substrate, lighting, fertilizers, co2. Those are the four aspects of a planted tank you need to look into. Lighting is the most important. Low lights limit what you can grow, but also limits the possibilities of needing ferts and/or co2. The substrate is the least important. I only mention it because you can use cheap aquarium gravel or play sand, or you can buy some expensive plant-specific substrates.

Once you have an idea of what you want to grow and have an idea of what lights you need, the rest pretty much falls into place

Back
Top Bottom