What is that worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I vacuumed my gravel just now and pulled out a ton of red worms. Looked like live blood worms, but I've never given them blood worms.
Sooooooooo, what could they be? Does someone in tank pooping worms?

Last edited by a moderator:
Small red worms can also be callamus worms which is an internal parasitic worm that is excreted. Can you post a picture since these are just guesses without actually being able to see one. Callamus worms come from an infected fish.

They look exactly like live blood worms. Or as the article posted, tubifex.... I'll do another water change and see if I suck any up.
If that is what it is, how do I treat ?
I have 40 gallon all live plants, Cory's, pleco, and Pictus cat.

bkiggy said:
I vacuumed my gravel just now and pulled out a S*** ton of red worms. Looked like live blood worms, but I've never given them blood worms.
Sooooooooo, what could they be? Does someone in tank pooping worms?

Are you sure they're worms & not poop? What do you feed? I know my fish poo whatever color they eat.

Are they all red....my tank had about the same thing when i cleaned the gravel all these small worms came out but they werent all red some where like grey and white too; they were very thin and abt 1/2 - 3/8ths long they squirmed around almost like a mosquito larva... my fish must have noticed them when i did because it wasnt long before they start eating them and then i never saw the worms again... the fish seem to take car of the problem and get a snack out of it as well...alotta people said callamus or planaria or someother thing...they turned out to be a thread worm which is actually a sign of a strong biological filter ,,,so strong u actually have living creatures breaking down ur waste

I saw something in my tank the other day that resembled a worm. It was thin, almost hair like and white. Like my dogs hair got in the tank. It was moving like crazy. It was floating. I didn't think anything about it caused i thought it was a hair. Could it have been a worm? Sorry to steal your thread but its worm talk!

Sounds like detritus worms. I have them in my tank. They are harmless and ur fish will prob enjoy eating them, mine do. They come from overfeeding the tank generally.

Definitely red, thin, smaller than live blood worms. Like baby blood worms. Very weird... Where did they come from?? I will do another gravel vac and see if I can get more (not that I want them) - but for pictures sake.
I looked VERY closely at my fish. I do not see worms sticking out of anyone. Callamus worms look like they are "hooked" into fish butt

Some one said Detritus worms. ? I have no idea..... I'm seriously going to try to get a picture. I'm worried now.
Maybe I'll treat the tank for the worst - couldn't hurt?

Detris worms for sure. Here's a link, then go down to the bottom of the article which talks about detris worms.

I have them in my tank. The fish snack on them, and they are kinda good as they help keep ur substrate clean, but are unsightly... they are usually seen in tanks where the fish are over fed of the gravel isnt vaced enough. I have no idea how to get rid of them, and i pretty much just try to stir up the sand and suck up as many as i can every now and then.

I saw something in my tank the other day that resembled a worm. It was thin, almost hair like and white. Like my dogs hair got in the tank. It was moving like crazy. It was floating. I didn't think anything about it caused i thought it was a hair. Could it have been a worm? Sorry to steal your thread but its worm talk!

Yours sounds like a nematode ... If so harmless, they float with the current and wiggles around in a patterns. Completely harmless.

I think they have been identified as Detritus Worms. However; 2 months ago I had an African Butterfly and I fed him live blood worms... Is it possible they fell to the gravel and been living there unnoticed ???????

jcolon said:
Yours sounds like a nematode ... If so harmless, they float with the current and wiggles around in a patterns. Completely harmless.

Thank you :) I haven't seen anymore.

Back
Top Bottom